MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
The New HIT Revolution
First | Prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23
Author
Rating
Options

Ellington Darden

Sorry, but no one in Europe handles the book. You'll have to order it in the USA.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

BigKennyO

Mr. Darden,
I have completed The Arthur Jones Bulletin #1 and I am almost complete with #2. I have also read the HIIT book. I would really like to implement these training ideas however I am having a tough time determining the best way to approach the 2 warm-up sets prior to my 1 all out set without pre exhausting the muscles before the max effort set.

For example if I were to apply this to the barbell bench press. I would use a weight of 355 for 1 max set of 10. Now if I was to use the 335 right out of the gate and expect the first few reps to be the warm up, I think I would blow out my elbows on the first rep.

If I was to use 135 lbs for 10 it would be to easy and I do not think that it would be enough to prepare the joints or ligaments for the max lift, and if I went up to 225 for 10 it would still be easy but I would be working harder to complete the 10 reps.

I do feel that the joints and ligaments would start to be better prepared for the jump to the heavy set, but I think that some pre exhausting would take place. Did you use an equation for determining the first 2 sets? I know many times I see examples of percentage of 1 rep max with other workouts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kenny O
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

Kenny,

There are several solutions to your problem. The best way, from my experience, is to skip the warm-up entirely and apply the pre-exhaustion technique. For example, with the bench press, immediately before doing it, grab a couple of heavy dumbbells and do a set of bent-arm flies. Then, go into the bench presses . . . with probably 100 pounds less than you'd normally use. You'll be lucky to get 8 good reps. But you'll feel it a great deal more and the overall effect will be better.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

Orly

So true, I have made more progress without using protein shakes, creatine amino acids. Just by using HIT I have made gains I thought I'd never accomplish without consuming supplements.

Thanks Darden
Open User Options Menu

PTB

New Jersey, USA

Hello Dr. Darden,

I've been interested in H.I.T. training for several months now. I watched some of Mike Mentzers training vids online and it intrigued me.

I purchased your book a couple of weeks ago, and I just had my first workout - beginning #1 on Monday. I've made excel spreadseets with all of the workouts as you outlined, and I'm comitted to following it for a year. It's definately more frequent than Mike's once every 8 days.

I've been working out for about 10 years, and it definatley feels like I'm starting over. Perhaps the hardest part is not being able to have the diversity in different moves from week to week. For example, for triceps in beginning #1, you only recommend overhead extensions with a dumbell, and I do that for six weeks. I'd love to use tricep pressdowns, dips, etc., but I'm sure that's not the point.

I'm expecting good results from this program and I look forward hearing more of your insights in this forum.

Open User Options Menu

Barrie

Hello to Dr Darden & all you HIT folks out there.
I'm a 40 year old competitive bodybuilder.I currently train 2-3 times per week on a whole body routine.I've been training for 24 years and find HIT is the most effective and enjoyable way to keep going at this amazing pastime.
Thanks to sites like this and books like "The new bodybuilding for old school results" I still look forward to each workout and contest.
Keep up the good work people.
Open User Options Menu

PTB

New Jersey, USA

Hello Dr. Darden,

I'm on week 11 of the New H.I.T. program.

Overall, I've experienced some good gains in several areas. For example, on leg press, I've gone from 270lb for 10 reps to 490lbs for 10 reps.

My arms however seem to be at a sticking point. I haven't made any gains on them in several weeks, after some decent gains early on. I went from 50lb/10 reps, to 90lb/6-8 reps, and I haven't advanced any further.

The same goes for dumbell tricep extensions.

Is there anyway I can break thru this barrier and continue advancing? The dumbell extensions also put a lot of stress on my right elbow. Can I substitute them with tricep pulldowns or pressdowns instead?

Also, my weight has remained the same since I started. It fluctuates +/- 5lbs. Should I be concerned? I'm eating 6 meals per day.
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

PTB,

Look at page 179 of The New HIT. Do that forearm routine first. Stop doing exercises for your triceps. Add three leg exercises and one abdominal to the four forearm movements. That's your new workout: 8 exercises.

Do that twice a week for two weeks. Afterward, take a week off, do nothing. But eat well during those three weeks . . . very well.

Then, go back to your week 12 workouts. You should be bigger, stronger, and with no elbow pain. And your arms should be larger.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

PTB

New Jersey, USA

Ellington Darden wrote:
PTB,

Look at page 179 of The New HIT. Do that forearm routine first. Stop doing exercises for your triceps. Add three leg exercises and one abdominal to the four forearm movements. That's your new workout: 8 exercises.

Do that twice a week for two weeks. Afterward, take a week off, do nothing. But eat well during those three weeks . . . very well.

Then, go back to your week 12 workouts. You should be bigger, stronger, and with no elbow pain. And your arms should be larger.

Ellington


Thank you Dr. Darden.

Like I said, gains have been great overall, not just in legs, but in chest and back also. Benchpress went from 200lb/10 to just on Monday, 310/9 reps. It's my favorite exercise, so I'll hate giving it up for 3 weeks ;).

Anyway, since I'll be doing this routine 2x per week, and today is Wednesday(my NTF day), should I implement it starting tonight? and if so, how many days off should I give myself? Should I also do it on Friday?
And then for the next week, what should the days be?

Thanks again!

Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

Rest between now and next Monday. Start the new workout then, and repeat it on Thursday. The following week, train on Monday and Thursday again. Then take the next week off.

Go back to your normal workouts on July 26 . . . and report back on August 2nd with how you look, feel, and perform.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

demas1923

Dr. Darden,
I recently completed your book, "The New High Intensity Training," and I have two quick questions for you. I apologize in advance if these were already answered somewhere else in the forum. I am a martial artist, who studies traditional Shaolin kung-fu, and it is a significant part of my life and I do not want to relinquish my practice of it. Therefore, I was wondering if practicing it on my H.I.T. rest days would hinder my growth or impede my proper rest cycle during the program? Also, I have free weights, barbells, benches, and a squat rack at my home, but I cannot afford a gym membership, and I sold my Bowflex a few years ago to my brother. Therefore, am I allowed to substitute exercises for the ones that I cannot perform, such as leg presses, leg extensions, and leg curls? If so, what would be the best substitutes for them? Thank you for your time and your amazing book.
Respectfully,
demas1923
Open User Options Menu

PTB

New Jersey, USA

Just checking in.

I'm on the last week of Beginner's Workout #4.

Next week, I start Intermediate Routine #1.

In my last post, I reported hitting a wall with my biceps. I took Dr. Darden's advice, then when I went back to training them, they did get stronger. In the Beginner's workout #4, there's no iso bicep movments, but they are staying full via the negative chins, which I'm doing with 80 lbs on a dip belt for 9 total reps.

I'm also at my heaviest weight EVER @ 212LBS. When I started, it fluctuated between 201 and 203.

One last thing: I got my annual physical and my liver results came back very high compared to years prior. I had to go back for additional bloodwork, which I'm waiting for results on in a couple of weeks. The major change I did make was implementing Dr. Darden's HIT program. I'm not sure if there is a correlation, since my diet and overall lifestyle remained the same, but I did find this NIH article on intense exercise and how it can affect liver test results:


http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...pubmed/17764474

HIT has certainly put some tolls on me I never experienced with traditional volumen split training, but I think the overall results are speaking volumes for me. I will definatley see this thru the end.
Open User Options Menu

jastrain

PTB wrote:
Just checking in.

I'm on the last week of Beginner's Workout #4.

Next week, I start Intermediate Routine #1.

In my last post, I reported hitting a wall with my biceps. I took Dr. Darden's advice, then when I went back to training them, they did get stronger. In the Beginner's workout #4, there's no iso bicep movments, but they are staying full via the negative chins, which I'm doing with 80 lbs on a dip belt for 9 total reps.

you are pretty freakin strong for a beginner !!!! 80 lbs at a body weight of 212 lbs for 9 reps is pretty damn strong. i thought i was strong i do 90 lbs for 7-8 reps but i only weigh 175 lbs. when i was 240 lbs i could only do 7 reps with body weight only. so at 212 with 80 lbs you are doing great for a beginner!!! what i like to do that makes it a little more intense is to pre-exhaust with bicep curl before i hit the chins. this fries my arms. you do curls either with a machine or dumb bell curls. do these to failure and then instantly do your weighted chins to failure. with the chins, when you are at failure, when you can not pull yourself up [usually mid way on your final rep]. keep trying to pull yourself up even though you are at a dead stop. keep pulling for as long, and as you can and as hard as you can until your muscle gives out. when this happens then try [like your life depends on it] to stop the downward movement [with everything you got.you will be using every muscle in your body to fight the downward movement [the negative movement]. your arms will be on fire. i love this sequence of exercises. bicep curl--to weighted chins. you will be doing way over 100lbs within a year or so.
Open User Options Menu

PTB

New Jersey, USA

jastrain wrote:

you are pretty freakin strong for a beginner !!!! 80 lbs at a body weight of 212 lbs for 9 reps is pretty damn strong. i thought i was strong i do 90 lbs for 7-8 reps but i only weigh 175 lbs. when i was 240 lbs i could only do 7 reps with body weight only. so at 212 with 80 lbs you are doing great for a beginner!!! what i like to do that makes it a little more intense is to pre-exhaust with bicep curl before i hit the chins. this fries my arms. you do curls either with a machine or dumb bell curls. do these to failure and then instantly do your weighted chins to failure. with the chins, when you are at failure, when you can not pull yourself up [usually mid way on your final rep]. keep trying to pull yourself up even though you are at a dead stop. keep pulling for as long, and as you can and as hard as you can until your muscle gives out. when this happens then try [like your life depends on it] to stop the downward movement [with everything you got.you will be using every muscle in your body to fight the downward movement [the negative movement]. your arms will be on fire. i love this sequence of exercises. bicep curl--to weighted chins. you will be doing way over 100lbs within a year or so.



Well thanks! But again, just to clarify, these were negative ONLY, where I would climb up by any means necessary. Intially, I'd use a chair, but since I can easily grab the bar from a standing position, it was easier just to jump up into the top position, then lower myself down.

As for the reps, I could probably do more IF my grip and forerams didn't give out. I could see why Dr. Darden emphasizes wrist and forearm development. I'm sure I'd do a lot less still IF I added bicep curls prior to the negatives.
Open User Options Menu

PTB

New Jersey, USA

Just did the Intermediate routine #1 this morning.

I have a couple of questions:

1.) For the Incline press, is there a preferred incline on the bench? Most fixed benches are at 45 degrees, but if you have an adjustable bench as I have, I've read acutally 30 degrees is best, and some even go up to say 50-55 degrees for better upper peck development. I know that with increasing degrees, more of the shoulder is involved.

2.) for biceps, routine calls for flat barbell, but is it ok to use a cable curl using flat bar attachment? And what about the ez_curl bar? Can that be used instead of the barbell?
Open User Options Menu

lildrummerboy80

Hey man excellent info, as far as diet, you have pretty much stuck to the eating plan in the "6 months to explosive growth" part of the book? did you do the quick start fat loss routine, i'm looking to start into something full on, i'm tossing around this or training heavy duty.
Open User Options Menu

PTB

New Jersey, USA

lildrummerboy80 wrote:
Hey man excellent info, as far as diet, you have pretty much stuck to the eating plan in the "6 months to explosive growth" part of the book? did you do the quick start fat loss routine, i'm looking to start into something full on, i'm tossing around this or training heavy duty.


As for me, I did NOT implement the diet plan. My metobolism is very fast, and I still use the program I've always used:
5-6 meals per day (one of which is a protein shake)
Protein - 1g/lb
Carbs ~ 100g - 150g/day
Fats ~ moderate, using unsalted almonds, olive oil, mac nut oil, and fish.

For the first few months, I didn't gain much weight. It would fluctuate between 201 and 205. I'm now 212.

The only major change I made was adding BCAA's into my diet - in addition to the protein sources.
Open User Options Menu

PTB

New Jersey, USA

Hello Dr. Darden,

I just started intermediate routine #5 - the last set of exercises defined in your book.

Overall, I've had some really good gains as you said I would - particularly in my legs. For example, for leg press, I started out 280lb for 11 reps. Last week, I did 700lb for 8 reps. Strength overall has increased - my weakest point still being however my shoulders. I'm stronger in military presses, but in iso-lateral movements, I'm still not progressing how I would like.

I guess my main question then is once I complete this last workout series in about 5 weeks, where do I go from there? Do I stay with this routine on going, or should I switch it up? Should I do the advanced shoulder routine for a while?

I really do like having a set program to work from.

Thanks,
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

Switch it up. Start with the Shoulder Routine on page 159. Apply that for two weeks and then progress to another specialized routine.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

PTB

New Jersey, USA

Alright I can do that.

I guess another question would be how often to workout.

After nearly a year on this program, it seems I'm at my best after 2-3 days of rest, but any more than that, it it is not beneficial for me, in fact, I feel I go backwards. Anything less than 2 days and I don't feel recovered.

I could definately see going forward, working out twice per week on a Monday - Thursday schedule. The Monday Friday I was on in the Intermediate workout #4 was a little tough on the Monday following the Friday workout.

Should I go by feel here, or would you recommend only once per week from now on?
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

Go by your feelings. I believe you probably know best your recovery ability.

Ellington

Open User Options Menu

PTB

New Jersey, USA

Just finished the last session of my Advanced Chest workouts from the book.

So far, I've completed Shoulders, then just today Chest.

As said in the book, the chest routine is brutal. I still have a lot of negative strength though, and for dips, I'm using a dip belt with 100lbs for 6 reps, then for those negative pushups, I've had my wife assist me by placing steady pressure on my back as I descend down, fighting it all the way. I wanted to place a 45lb plate on my back, but that's hard to do by yourself, and I like the variable pressure my wife puts on, as I may be stronger at certain points at the descent, and so she'll add a little more if need be.

I got 6 hard fought reps out of it and was sweating like a pig.

To then go to Squats after that was very challenging.

Next is to attack the Arms.

One question I had though was is it normal to see a drop off in strength when you go thru these periodizations? On the routines when the arms were directly worked, I would see positive growth in my numbers (unless I was fatigued as earlier in the program), but then the program may change and I may not do direct work on them at all.

When I come back to working the arms directly (say 12 weeks later), it's not like I can start at the number I had at that last direct arm workout. I usually have to come down about 15-20 lbs, and build back up, only to stop again the next time the routine changed.

It's often like I have to start all over again.

Dr. Darden, is this to be expected? I know negative pullups do incorporate the biceps, but this does not correlate with an increase in stength in my bicep curl, at least not for me.
Open User Options Menu

DownUnderLifter

PTB wrote:
Just finished the last session of my Advanced Chest workouts from the book.

So far, I've completed Shoulders, then just today Chest.

As said in the book, the chest routine is brutal. I still have a lot of negative strength though, and for dips, I'm using a dip belt with 100lbs for 6 reps, then for those negative pushups, I've had my wife assist me by placing steady pressure on my back as I descend down, fighting it all the way. I wanted to place a 45lb plate on my back, but that's hard to do by yourself, and I like the variable pressure my wife puts on, as I may be stronger at certain points at the descent, and so she'll add a little more if need be.

I got 6 hard fought reps out of it and was sweating like a pig.

To then go to Squats after that was very challenging.

Next is to attack the Arms.

One question I had though was is it normal to see a drop off in strength when you go thru these periodizations? On the routines when the arms were directly worked, I would see positive growth in my numbers (unless I was fatigued as earlier in the program), but then the program may change and I may not do direct work on them at all.

When I come back to working the arms directly (say 12 weeks later), it's not like I can start at the number I had at that last direct arm workout. I usually have to come down about 15-20 lbs, and build back up, only to stop again the next time the routine changed.

It's often like I have to start all over again.

Dr. Darden, is this to be expected? I know negative pullups do incorporate the biceps, but this does not correlate with an increase in stength in my bicep curl, at least not for me.

You've put in a great effort over the last year PTB, well done. Do you have any recent photos of yourself you can post?

Cheers

DUL
Open User Options Menu
First | Previous | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23
Administrators Online: Mod Jump'n Jack, Ellington Darden
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy