MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Dr D. Blue Monster?
Author
Rating
Options

Feb221732


Dr. Darden,

I was flipping through TNHIT last night and got to thinking about the Blue Monster. I love reading your stories about AJ and the early days. Anyway, just wondering if you know what happened to the Blue Monster? Was it scrapped long ago or is it still around somewhere? Also, one day I hope to buy some of the older machines, like the double chest, pullover, and others. Can these machines be refitted to be lower friction?

Thanks,
Ted

Ted
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

Ted,

The Blue Monster was separated into four machines: pullover, behind-neck, rowing-torso, and torso-arm . . . and they were in use at the Quonset hut gym behind the DeLand High School until 1973. Then they were put in storage at the Nautilus headquarters at Lake Helen, Florida. When Jones sold Nautilus in 1986, all those original machines, plus a bunch of other prototypes, were buried behind one of the Nautilus buildings.

You and a lot of other people, me included, would like to have those early machines. And I know where, so to speak, "the bones are buried."

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

Michael Petrella

Ontario, CAN

I had the same thought when i read about the blue monster in TNHIT. That makes me sick that its buried.

It should be in the Smithsonian or atleast on display in that huge nautilus building shown on this website.

We should start some sort of group and get that stuff dug back up and re-furbished. Call some Heritage preservation group. lol. But seriously I wish something could be done.

Michael
Open User Options Menu

marcrph

Portugal

bigmikep wrote:

We should start some sort of group and get that stuff dug back up and re-furbished. Call some Heritage preservation group. lol. But seriously I wish something could be done.

Michael


One more reason for a HIT club.

Marc
Open User Options Menu

deanjones

Dr. Darden,

Why on earth did they bury that stuff?!
Open User Options Menu

Michael Petrella

Ontario, CAN

Hey Marc

Im not sure what you have in mind but I see nothing bad about having some sort of club. I kind of see this website as that. If you get something going or have any ideas just contact me. Maybe the blue monster will live agian one day. Nothing is impossible.

Michael
Open User Options Menu

Feb221732

Dr. D,

Wow that makes me sick to my stomach. Somewhere right now, an important piece of exercise and bodybuilding history is buried in Florida. I am in agreement that it should be in a museum somewhere.

At least in the lobby of a Nautlilus facility to show where Nautilus has come from. At the very least in my basement! Would be great if we could all somehow bring the Blue Monster back from the dead, and find it a good home where it could be appreciated by bodybuilding and strength enthusiasts for years to come.

Ted
Open User Options Menu

Feb221732

Anyone have a backhoe? :-)

Ted
Open User Options Menu

Landau

Florida, USA

I have been in Lake Helen at the old headquarters more recently and it was not a very happy experience. Ellington if you can just point me to the spot, I will start digging. I do remember those prototypes and there must be a ton of them buried in that one place. David
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

David,

Most of the old machines were buried at the far end of the parking lot, which was in-between the big buildings in Lake Helen. Ken Hutchins, if I remember correctly, worked one of the bulldozers that was depositing the stuff in the ground. You'll have to ask Ken about it.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

Landau

Florida, USA

I will talk to you about it at Indianapolis. Me, you, and Robert Francis can talk about it over breakfast before the Seminar. When are you flying/driving in? I know Robert would purchase the back hoe to dig them up.
Open User Options Menu

Michael Petrella

Ontario, CAN

I am going to be in Orlando Florida for a weekend near the end of May. If anything is happening in regards to this possible project or there is any way I can lend a hand I am here to help.

Michael
Open User Options Menu

BRUCELEEWANNABE

Florida, USA

deanjones wrote:
Dr. Darden,

Why on earth did they bury that stuff?!



Yah, why?? I'm sure it was AJ idea. What's there right now, who owns the land & do they know it's there?

That's one of the craziest things I've ever heard; to bury that is, just,...weird, makes no sense.

WHY?
Open User Options Menu

Cherry

Who picked the blue color?

I guess it's better than the PINK MONSTER.

;))
Open User Options Menu

marcrph

Portugal

bigmikep wrote:
Hey Marc

Im not sure what you have in mind but I see nothing bad about having some sort of club. I kind of see this website as that. If you get something going or have any ideas just contact me. Maybe the blue monster will live agian one day. Nothing is impossible.

Michael


1)The HIT club would have to non-profit.

2) Membership would be on a volunteer basis. No discrimination alowed, or your membership would be terminated.

3) Members would be allowed to contribute articles, upon review, for publication.

4) Members would vote on executive officers.

5) Annual picnics/meetings would be held.

www.americanpowerliftevolution.net/1950'spg12.html

6) contests, demonstrations, instruction, literature, exercise equipment, could all be a part of annual or regional meetings.

7) awards handed out for excellence in the field

8) charitable donations to be handed out to high schools for athletic preparations.

These are just some of the ramblings of my mind. There has been others.

Marc

Open User Options Menu

Michael Petrella

Ontario, CAN

Hey Marc

you have obviously but alot of thought into this. Seems like a good idea to me. Maybe make a post asking people on this forum if they would be willing to become apart of it. I know Id be in.

In regards to the machines being buried. Does anyone know which prototypes were buried with the blue monster. Dr. Darden may be the only one with that answer, but it would be interesting to know.

Michael
Open User Options Menu

AceHIT

marcrph wrote:
bigmikep wrote:
Hey Marc

Im not sure what you have in mind but I see nothing bad about having some sort of club. I kind of see this website as that. If you get something going or have any ideas just contact me. Maybe the blue monster will live agian one day. Nothing is impossible.

Michael

1)The HIT club would have to non-profit.

2) Membership would be on a volunteer basis. No discrimination alowed, or your membership would be terminated.

3) Members would be allowed to contribute articles, upon review, for publication.

4) Members would vote on executive officers.

5) Annual picnics/meetings would be held.

www.americanpowerliftevolution.net/1950'spg12.html

6) contests, demonstrations, instruction, literature, exercise equipment, could all be a part of annual or regional meetings.

7) awards handed out for excellence in the field

8) charitable donations to be handed out to high schools for athletic preparations.

These are just some of the ramblings of my mind. There has been others.

Marc



9) Anybody practicing a cadence faster than 2/2 would have his or her membership revoked.

Open User Options Menu

TigerFighter VS

New Jersey, USA

Rather than trying to dig it, wouldn't it be better to place a plaque over its final resting place?

Think about it, a bulldozer was used to push it into a pit, where it has been laying in the Florida earth for God knows how long. I think even if you dug it out, you wouldn't be able to identify it let alone repair it.

Maybe Arthur Jones has the original plans laying about so a new one could be built in its place?
Open User Options Menu

marcrph

Portugal

AceHIT wrote:
9) Anybody practicing a cadence faster than 2/2 would have his or her membership revoked.



I guess that I might as well not apply then.

Marc
Open User Options Menu

chaos138

Florida, USA

bigmikep wrote:
I am going to be in Orlando Florida for a weekend near the end of May. If anything is happening in regards to this possible project or there is any way I can lend a hand I am here to help.

Michael


Michael
I own a HIT facility in Maitland Florida (15 min north of down town orlando) If you want to check out the gym, get a hold of me and we can hook up. It's always a pleasure to meet felow HITers.
My facility is 1200 sq feet and has 19 machines( not including the bars and plates) we can get you a workout while your in town.

Brian
Open User Options Menu

tylerg

I have a museum in my garage that I can donate some space if need be.

Tyler

PS: Just so everyone is on the same page here, I'm kidding
Open User Options Menu

Feb221732

Sure, we could certainly find a way to build another one. But it wouldn't really be the same. I would love to have the Blue Monster back. That machine has seen some memorable training sessions performed on it, to me it is a piece of history. Oh well, I guess it is gone forever. Unless that is, one day I can get the money, information on where "the bones are buried," some help, and permission from Nautilus in Lake Helen to dig the Blue Monster and those prototypes up.

It's buried, maybe forever. But maybe not.

Ted
Open User Options Menu

BRUCELEEWANNABE

Florida, USA

I would like to know WHY it was chosen to dump it in the ground? It just makes no sense at all.

Any pictures of it, haven't seen any in awhile. Tks!
Open User Options Menu

GatorFan

Tried attaching a pic, never done it before. Let's see if it worked.

Edit: Hey it worked. (Drag the image to your toolbar or right-click and click View Image for a larger version.)
Open User Options Menu

BRUCELEEWANNABE

Florida, USA

Awesome, thanks alot! hahahha...never knew you could drag it to your tool bar to make the pics. bigger!! Cool! Hahahha
Open User Options Menu
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy