MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Energy Bars?
Author
Rating
Options

MotorFed

California, USA

hello all,

i was wondering if anyone has found any substitutes for the champion nutrition energy bars in the bowflex body plan book. with the price and quality of most bars on the market today, i am a little skeptical of trying another brand's bar without some feedback if anyone has any (dr. d included).

thanks
Open User Options Menu

splice

i use pure protien bars i found them on ebay. They have the same calories and taste pretty good ( try the smores). I got lucky though i got my bars for 45 cents a piece i guess you just have to catch them at the right time.
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

I kid you not. Tim Patterson, over on T-Nation.com, has developed the best-tasting energy bars I've ever eaten. The new Rocky Road flavored Metabolic Drive bars are winners. You've got to try them.

Also, I like his meal-replacement shake mix called "Classic GROW."

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

The Mage

I haven't tried the Rocky Road myself, but the chocolate chunk was great, and so was their brownie. I read they are rotating their flavors instead of keeping them all in stock.
Open User Options Menu

marcrph

Portugal

Ellington Darden wrote:
I kid you not. Tim Patterson, over on T-Nation.com, has developed the best-tasting energy bars I've ever eaten. The new Rocky Road flavored Metabolic Drive bars are winners. You've got to try them.

Also, I like his meal-replacement shake mix called "Classic GROW."

Ellington


Dr. Darden

I'm wondering if you have tried the LOW-CARB GROW! by BIOTEST. Chris Shugart, with his Velocity diet on T-Nation, have touted this protein supplement, along with SURGE post-workout. Can you comment on these two products?

Marc
Open User Options Menu

TigerFighter VS

New Jersey, USA

Has anyone tried the Hot-Rox? I want to know if its worth the 49.00.
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

Marc,

I have not tried Low-Carb GROW, because I'm not into low-carb eating. But I'm sure it's a fine product. And I've had no experience with Surge or Hot-Rox.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

Coma

Illinois, USA

TigerFighter VS wrote:
Has anyone tried the HOT-ROX? I want to know if its worth the 49.00.


HOT-ROX is the best fat burner I've used. Though I don't use it all the time. I only use it for my pre-contest diet and it really helps a lot for getting as lean a possible for the contest. For most people diet alone won't get you ripped, I've tried.

Open User Options Menu

Coma

Illinois, USA

marcrph wrote:
Ellington Darden wrote:
I kid you not. Tim Patterson, over on T-Nation.com, has developed the best-tasting energy bars I've ever eaten. The new Rocky Road flavored Metabolic Drive bars are winners. You've got to try them.

Also, I like his meal-replacement shake mix called "Classic GROW."

Ellington

Dr. Darden

I'm wondering if you have tried the LOW-CARB GROW! by BIOTEST. Chris Shugart, with his Velocity diet on T-Nation, have touted this protein supplement, along with SURGE post-workout. Can you comment on these two products?

Marc


Low-Carb Grow is Metabolic Drive, it's good stuff. I use it because I do better on lower carbs. If you want more carbs they have Classic Grow. I also use Surge post workout and I think it really helps to speed up recovery.

Open User Options Menu

marcrph

Portugal

Ellington Darden wrote:
Marc,

I have not tried Low-Carb GROW, because I'm not into low-carb eating. But I'm sure it's a fine product. And I've had no experience with Surge or Hot-Rox.

Ellington



Dr. Darden,

Thanks for your reply!

Marc

Open User Options Menu

marcrph

Portugal

Coma wrote:
marcrph wrote:
Ellington Darden wrote:
I kid you not. Tim Patterson, over on T-Nation.com, has developed the best-tasting energy bars I've ever eaten. The new Rocky Road flavored Metabolic Drive bars are winners. You've got to try them.

Also, I like his meal-replacement shake mix called "Classic GROW."

Ellington

Dr. Darden

I'm wondering if you have tried the LOW-CARB GROW! by BIOTEST. Chris Shugart, with his Velocity diet on T-Nation, have touted this protein supplement, along with SURGE post-workout. Can you comment on these two products?

Marc

Low-Carb Grow is Metabolic Drive, it's good stuff. I use it because I do better on lower carbs. If you want more carbs they have Classic Grow. I also use Surge post workout and I think it really helps to speed up recovery.



Coma,

How does Low-Carb Grow taste? Does it mix well?

Marc

Open User Options Menu

drm7

Virginia, USA

I eat Balance Bars. They probably don't have 'ideal' ingredients, but they are cheap and taste pretty good. The Balance Bar Gold that I currently eat has 15g protein (a blend, with more whey than soy) and 210 calories. I found a great deal at Target, where I could get two 8-packs for $6.00. Now the price is back up to $5.00 for a 6-pack, which is still pretty good.
Open User Options Menu

Coma

Illinois, USA

marcrph wrote:
Coma,

How does Low-Carb Grow taste? Does it mix well?

Marc



I haven't used Low-Carb Grow in a long time because I do better with lower carbs but the chocolate is really good. I use Metabolic Drive now and I really like the chocolate and strawberry, vanilla is ok but I've never been a big fan of vanilla anyway. I've never tried the orange or bannana.

It mixes well, you don't need a blender unless you're adding other ingredients. One of those shaker cups works fine.

Open User Options Menu

marcrph

Portugal

Coma wrote:
marcrph wrote:
Coma,

How does Low-Carb Grow taste? Does it mix well?

Marc



I haven't used Low-Carb Grow in a long time because I do better with lower carbs but the chocolate is really good. I use Metabolic Drive now and I really like the chocolate and strawberry, vanilla is ok but I've never been a big fan of vanilla anyway. I've never tried the orange or bannana.

It mixes well, you don't need a blender unless you're adding other ingredients. One of those shaker cups works fine.



Coma,

Thanks for your reply!

Marc
Open User Options Menu

Mid-Sized Tex

California, USA

Guys, I'm doing the "Getting Lean" Phase w/ 1500 cal/day, and I have found it kinda cool to have different kinds of bars so that, as I eat my last meal of the day, I can choose from an assortment.

I've created a Spreadsheet document on my computer which quickly calculated my nutrient spread and # of calories, so I can, at a glance, tell if I need more grams of protein, carbos, etc. for the composition of my last meal. By having a variety of bars, it helps me regulate my intake to get exactly what I want.

I'm currently using PowerBar Protein Plus, Premier Protein (Costco-cheap!), Met-Rx Big 100 and Met-Rx Protein Plus.

Sometimes I even take out a ruler to get EXACTLY the correct # of calories for that meal, and cut the bar with a knife. It kinda sounds crazy to me as I type it but it's really easy and quick - only took out 4 min. to set up the Spreadsheet calculations, and once I eat something I enter its nutrients so it's saved.

Those bar I mentioned I like, except the Big 100 does taste like chemicals somewhat. I think I'm going to start making my own out of cornbread and Quaker Oats, which is more of a Carb-thing anyway which Dr. D recommends, and which reminds me a lot of some stuff by Nathan Pritikin which I'd read back in 1980 when I was 10. I ate that way for about a year and felt great!

Bill
Open User Options Menu

Cherry

"Energy bars" ADD calories, smthg *I* certainly don't need any more of ..
do you?

IF you do, add more leafy greens to your meal,
more BANG for your caloric $buck$!



:))
Open User Options Menu

marcrph

Portugal

Mid-Sized Tex wrote:
Guys, I'm doing the "Getting Lean" Phase w/ 1500 cal/day, and I have found it kinda cool to have different kinds of bars so that, as I eat my last meal of the day, I can choose from an assortment.

I've created a Spreadsheet document on my computer which quickly calculated my nutrient spread and # of calories, so I can, at a glance, tell if I need more grams of protein, carbos, etc. for the composition of my last meal. By having a variety of bars, it helps me regulate my intake to get exactly what I want.

I'm currently using PowerBar Protein Plus, Premier Protein (Costco-cheap!), Met-Rx Big 100 and Met-Rx Protein Plus.

Sometimes I even take out a ruler to get EXACTLY the correct # of calories for that meal, and cut the bar with a knife. It kinda sounds crazy to me as I type it but it's really easy and quick - only took out 4 min. to set up the Spreadsheet calculations, and once I eat something I enter its nutrients so it's saved.

Those bar I mentioned I like, except the Big 100 does taste like chemicals somewhat. I think I'm going to start making my own out of cornbread and Quaker Oats, which is more of a Carb-thing anyway which Dr. D recommends, and which reminds me a lot of some stuff by Nathan Pritikin which I'd read back in 1980 when I was 10. I ate that way for about a year and felt great!

Bill


Bill,

Sounds like you got it down to a science! I'm impressed. You are very inspiring.

Marc
Open User Options Menu

Mid-Sized Tex

California, USA

Thanks Marc! If you or anybody out there runs a Mac, I'll email it to you as an attachment if you want . . . however, it's really so simple to do I feel embarrassed even suggesting it like it's "something so cool." PM me with your email address.
Open User Options Menu

Mid-Sized Tex

California, USA

Cherry wrote:
"Energy bars" ADD calories, smthg *I* certainly don't need any more of ..
do you?

IF you do, add more leafy greens to your meal,
more BANG for your caloric $buck$!



:))


Rock solid, Cherry! We're on the same wavelength. Leafy greens have been my SAVIOR! There's NO WAY I could do 1500 cal/day consistently if not for leafy greens, plus their nutrient spread (spinach, kale, mustard/collard/turnip greens, not to mention brocolli, cauliflower, red/green cabbage, squash) is SO THOROUGH that you know you're getting all those other vitamins/minerals to thoroughly utilize the proteins, carbs and fats properly to get the most benefit from them.

Sidenote, Unrelated: After my 2nd gym HIT wkout on the Leanness Plan yesterday (as opposed to the Bowflex for 6-8 weeks before) I took Dr. D's advice about only 3 min. of Warm-Up. I will not do this again. I need to walk for about 20 min. in the morning, then do some stretching before the workout.

It's not for fear of injury, as the slower motion (4/4, or 3/1/3) seems to take care of that, but since I've stopped stretching I feel really tight, and I don't feel as strong. I've heard that a more limber, flexible muscle is a stronger muscle, and while I currently have no way of knowing if that's true or not, I know how I feel. Before tomorrow's 3rd gym HIT, I'm walking and stretching. (Plus being nice and limber makes me have soooooo much more energy throughout the day.)

Bill
Open User Options Menu
Administrators Online: Mod Phoenix
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy