MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
It's Here: The New Bodybuilding...
First | Prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

hdlifter

Thanks Ellington. Like you, I have never been a big supplement advocate, but at this stage I am open to ANYTHING that can boost my workouts, so I will look into it.

Open User Options Menu

the_shoe92

Dr Darden,
I will be going to college next year and will be playing football there. I am currently doing HIT (with good results)and would like to know how I could work cardio into the HIT work out.

I know you have said that this can be counter productive, but I need to get into shape for the upcoming football season and I'm wondering what would be the best thing to do. Your advice is much appreciated.
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

the_shoe92 wrote:
Dr Darden,
I will be going to college next year and will be playing football there. I am currently doing HIT (with good results)and would like to know how I could work cardio into the HIT work out.

I know you have said that this can be counter productive, but I need to get into shape for the upcoming football season and I'm wondering what would be the best thing to do. Your advice is much appreciated.


You would do well to apply metabolic conditioning to your football training. There are two chapters, 25 and 26, in The New Bodybuilding for Old-School Results that cover the details.

Ellington

Open User Options Menu

Tobes

Is the metabolic conditioning described in the book the same program I read about in The Athletic Journal around 1986 or 1987?
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

Tobes wrote:
Is the metabolic conditioning described in the book the same program I read about in The Athletic Journal around 1986 or 1987?


Yes, the basic concepts are the same.

Ellington

Open User Options Menu

fitnessclinic

Keep it alive!! My last visit to the big box retail book store shocked me. There were NO books from the past and the greats on BB. NONE, plenty of the new books with the authors on the front cover sporting there black t-shirts and presenting themselves as experts.

Don't get me wrong, I advertised Pilates and other programs to get the deconditioned market in to my facility. Then the process would begin. Educating them and explaining that I did not want to waste there time and money. Slowly, depending on the response, I would move them into HIT.

Very rewarding to see a 55+ year old gal dead lift and loving it (plastic weights and an aluminum bar from Bigger Faster Stronger Co.).
Get your books into the stores if you can please.
Terry
The Fitness Clinic
Cleveland Ohio
Open User Options Menu

bigbadcop

California, USA

Dr. Darden,
I want to work cardio into my hit workout, but I'm not sure if I should do it before I workout as a way to warm and with the added benefit of pre-exhausting my legs (as I've already maxed out the leg curl and leg ext. machines at my gym) or if I should do it after my workout or on an off day (which seems like it would be counter productive)?

Are you going to offer any kind of training camp or siminar or lecture series in the near future?

Can you recommend any body building/performance geared books on nutrition and/or nutrition authors. I've read several already and each one has their own opinion on protein/carbs/fats ratios and protein intake or caloric intake and so on. Can you help me make sense of it all?

As always many thanks,
Nick
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

Nick,

Do any cardio on the same day as you strength train. Then rest completely the next day.

For the best in nutrition textbooks, get a copy of "Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies" by Frances Sizer and Eleanor Whitney.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

bigbadcop

California, USA

Ellington Darden wrote:
Nick,

Do any cardio on the same day as you strength train. Then rest completely the next day.

For the best in nutrition textbooks, get a copy of "Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies" by Frances Sizer and Eleanor Whitney.

Ellington


Do you recommend doing the cardio before or after strength training?

Nick
Open User Options Menu

soulman

Hi. I am new to this forum. I bought the frist HIT book and have been using it for 3 months. I made very good progress and hit a platue. Can some one give me some ideas on how to break out of the platue.

I am working out 2 days a week. Doing 3 days a week, I found to be extermely hard, so I pulled back to 2 days a week. My routine includes the following:

- Bench Press
- Incline Press
- Flys
- Lat pull down
- Rowing
- Leg extension
- Leg curl
- Reverse Leg curl
- Bicepts Curl
- Tricepts Curl

I do one set of each of the above exercies for a duration of 5 - 18 reps. 18 for legs and 5 - 10 for upper body.

I do not rest between sets except when I move between machines and have to adjust the seat and weight.

I also have a question in regard to Glycemic Index diet approach. I need to loose approx. 50 pounds. I have tried atkins. Atkins worked for a while but was extermely restrictive and made it hard for me to follow. So, I did some research on GI diet. I am thinking of going on nutrisystem.

Any thoughts.

Thanks.
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

soulman wrote:
Hi. I am new to this forum. I bought the frist HIT book and have been using it for 3 months. I made very good progress and hit a platue. Can some one give me some ideas on how to break out of the platue.

I am working out 2 days a week. Doing 3 days a week, I found to be extermely hard, so I pulled back to 2 days a week. My routine includes the following:

- Bench Press
- Incline Press
- Flys
- Lat pull down
- Rowing
- Leg extension
- Leg curl
- Reverse Leg curl
- Bicepts Curl
- Tricepts Curl

I do one set of each of the above exercies for a duration of 5 - 18 reps. 18 for legs and 5 - 10 for upper body.

I do not rest between sets except when I move between machines and have to adjust the seat and weight.

I also have a question in regard to Glycemic Index diet approach. I need to loose approx. 50 pounds. I have tried atkins. Atkins worked for a while but was extermely restrictive and made it hard for me to follow. So, I did some research on GI diet. I am thinking of going on nutrisystem.

Any thoughts.

Thanks.


I'd suggest that you try something along the lines of the dietary plan that's covered in "Florida Dreaming," which is under the Training Routines and Other Articles section on the opening page.

Ellington

Open User Options Menu

hdlifter

About that bottom focus calf routine in your new article. I tried it the other day and OH, THE PAIN!!! But I still have a couple of questions...

Are you supposed to drop the weight between zones to get 12 reps each time?

Are you supposed to take any rest or just move through zone after zone?

Thanks.
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

hdlifter wrote:
About that bottom focus calf routine in your new article. I tried it the other day and OH, THE PAIN!!! But I still have a couple of questions...

Are you supposed to drop the weight between zones to get 12 reps each time?

Are you supposed to take any rest or just move through zone after zone?

Thanks.


Keep the weight the same on each zone and do not rest between zones.

Ellington

Open User Options Menu

twogunz

Dr. Darden,

We have been doing H.I.T. for two months now. We have been following your beginning phase workout routine to the T, and our gains are incredible with the large muscle groups. However, our bench press seems like it's not even moving, and our bi's and tri's either.

It seems as if the large muscle groups are making gains, where as our smaller muscle groups stay the same. My bench press follows directly after my one dumbbell pullover (which makes incredible gains every workout), and it isn't going anywhere. We change up the routine on monday (7th week), so should i not worry about this?

Is this somewhat normal. Our face muscles and form is absolutely perfect, and our nutrition levels and rest are at their finest, as well as the intensity level of each workout being through the roof, so i am curious as to why our smaller muscles aren't making gains.
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

twogunz,

Just be patient. What you are experiencing is normal. Stay the course.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu

RyanWallace

Massachusetts, USA

Dr. Darden,
I recieved your book last week and really enjoy it. Any future book plans?
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

RyanWallace wrote:
Dr. Darden,
I recieved your book last week and really enjoy it. Any future book plans?


Right now, I'm working on updating and revising my 1998 book, "A Flat Stomach ASAP." It will be available in January of 2008.

Ellington

Open User Options Menu

twogunz

Dr. Darden,

My workout partner and I really stressed negative chins last friday. Throughout the weekend, our biceps were very sore. The rest of our body was recovered for mondays workout but our biceps were still feelin it. Not overly sore like on Saturday/Sunday but you could definitely still feel them during the course of the day. Do you suggest working the biceps again anyway, or just skip them during the workout and wait till the next session?
Open User Options Menu

Loutwinl

I have had the book for a week and haven't enjoyed anything this much in a while,a big congrats to you Dr. Darden and many thanks.
Sincerely,
Lou
Open User Options Menu

adb7572

Dr Darden:

I am a big fan of the HIT philosophy which has increased my size and strength tremendously over the years.

What is the main difference that you differ from Mike Mentzer's approach? Is there some sort of rivalry here between he and Arthur Jones' style that you seem to advocate?

Open User Options Menu

Steve Bottoms

Alabama, USA

Dr.Darden, glad to see you are still carrying the torch. Having used HIT training personally and professionally for the last 37 years there is no way I would ever go back to "conventional" training methods.

At the time when I sold my company - One To One Personal Fitness - we had seven studios and had performed over 300,000 personal training sessions. Not only did we get outstanding results,we had a injury risk factor of less than 1/2 of 1%. So keep telling those "young whipper snappers" if they want to get the most out of there time and training, HIT is the only way to go.


Currently I am working with Jim Glazner and a local wellness physician on providing a high-end, in home fitness and nutrition program featuring the Bowflex Ultimate 2. The program will include the equipment, the trainer and three meals a day, utilizing HIT training along with a decending meal plan for twelve weeks.

We are still working on some of the logistics but hope to do a test market in the next 60-90 days. Could you reccomend a contact person at Bowflex. Thanks for your help and thanks for all you have done to keep the truth alive.
Open User Options Menu

bigbadcop

California, USA

Dr. Darden,

I'm about to start training for martial arts competitions and training. Do you have any advice or recommendations on building a training program to include cardio, hit, and my martial arts training? The class is on a tuesday/thursday schedule. If you need anyother info just ask.

Nick

p.s. what's your opinion on doing stationary body weight exercises, ie. pushups, pull ups etc.? would it be benefitical to include these type excerises in my workout routine? and how?
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

bigbadcop wrote:
Dr. Darden,

I'm about to start training for martial arts competitions and training. Do you have any advice or recommendations on building a training program to include cardio, hit, and my martial arts training? The class is on a tuesday/thursday schedule. If you need anyother info just ask.

Nick

p.s. what's your opinion on doing stationary body weight exercises, ie. pushups, pull ups etc.? would it be benefitical to include these type excerises in my workout routine? and how?


Nick,

Ask your questions on in the Discussion Forum section. The answers have already been hammered around repeatedly and some of the regulars can lead you to those threads.

Ellington

Open User Options Menu

sueflaster

I've read it and I'm psyched once again.
What would be nice would be some specific
advice for women, and for older women at that----we're just as interested in making time in the gym really meaningful!
I'm 65 and have been lifting for almost 30 years. Am now working MUCH harder and much
less often. Thanks.
Open User Options Menu

Ellington Darden

sue,

That "Florida Dreaming" article of mine adapts well to women. At the end of it I show some before-and-after shots of a woman, Jane Knuth, I worked with.

Ellington
Open User Options Menu
First | Previous | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | Next | Last
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy