MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Post your 2012 routine
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

DNAHelix

New York, USA

So I bet all of you thinking or have already thought of a new routine this year.

I have finally decided to further "consolidate" and somewhat reduce the volume. I will probably reduce it even more later but for now I have reduced my A, B, C routines to A & B, that will be performed weekly in A,B,A and B,A,B fashion. Not to failure respectively.

Albert

Routine A

Hammer Pullover 5,3,8
CGPD 8
DB Shrugs 8
Cybex Rear Delt Row 8,10
Nautilus Shoulder Press 5,3,8
DB Lateral Rise NA MAX
BW Hyper Extensions 15,15
Abs MAX

Routine B

BB Decline Press 5,3,10
Pushdown 10,8
EZ Bar Lying Triceps Extensions 8
Nautilus Preacher Curl 8, 10
DB Hammer Curl 8
Nautilus Leg Extension 12,10,8
Nautilus Leg Press NA MAX
Calf Press B/D set 15+4+4
Open User Options Menu

Turpin

Back/shoulders/biceps;

V`bar pulldown; 3 x3 & 1 x8 reps
D/bell row; 3 x3 & 1 x15 reps
Lateral raise; 3 x3 & 2 x10 reps
supersetted with
Rear lateral raise; 3 x3 & 2 x10 reps
Bi-lateral D/bell curl; 3 x3 & 1 x8 reps.

Legs;

Belt squat; warm up the 3 x 15 reps
Sissy Squat; 2 x15 reps
Donkey calf raise 2 x15 reps
Weighted hypers 2 x20 reps

Chest/triceps;

D/bell bench press 3 x3 & 1 x10 reps
Floor flyes ( deadstarts from floor); 3 x3 & 1 x15 reps
lying tricep ext(deadstarts from floor); 3 x3 & 1 x8 reps
Rope pushdown ; 2 x 15 reps to finish.

I have contemplated grouping back/chest together in one workout & on another day bicep/tricep in order that I could further reduce workout time by the performance of antagonistic supersetting , but the above is where I am at presently & progress has been quite good.

T.
Open User Options Menu

natemason5

Ontario, CAN

Bench Press
Deadlift
Bicep Curl

Chins
OHP
High rep Squats
Open User Options Menu

Joshua Trentine

Ohio, USA

A)

Calf Exercise
Trunk Extension
Leg Press
Pull Down (sometimes P.O. to P.D)
Ventral Torso


B)

Hip Add
Hip Abd
Leg curl
Leg Ext
Compound Row or(Torso row to CR)
Overhead Press or(L.R to OHP)
Posterior Neck


C)

Biceps
Pull Down

Triceps
Ventral Torso

Compound Row
Push-Up

Leg Press (Squat Position)

D)

Most of this workout is done on machines that don't resemble anything out in the field.
======================================


Joshua
Open User Options Menu

fbcoach

MONDAY

Bench Press
3x3

Chest Press Machine
1x10

LatPulls
1x10

Farmers Walk

THURSDAY

DeadLifts
3x3

Farmer's Walk

+Each week I will add 2 1/2-5 lbs until I can no longer perform a complete rep without stuttering. When I plateau, I will take a few days off, then reset my weights 10-20lbs lighter and begin again reaching to higher plateaus.
Open User Options Menu

jn6047

Day 1 Chest/bis:

incline bench press
3 warm-ups 1 set failure 5-8 rep(sometimes with a forced rep or two, or rest pause)

Hammer chest press
1 warm-up. 1 set failure 5-8 reps

incline db flys
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 8 reps

Nautilus multi-bicep 1 arm curls
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 8-10 reps

cambered bar curls
1 warm-up 1 set failure 6-8 reps

alternating dumbbell hammer curls
1 set failure 6-8 reps

Day 2 Back:

Hammer pulldowns or Nautilus plate load pullover
2 warm-up sets, 1 set failure 6-8 reps

barbell row
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 6-8 reps

wide cable rows
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 6-8 reps

deadlifts
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 4-8 reps

dumbbell rear delt fly
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 6-8 reps

Day 3 Shoulders/Traps/Tris:

dumbbell shoulder press
3 warm-ups, 1 set failure 6-8 reps

seated dumbbell lateral raise
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 6-8 reps

cable 1 arm laterals
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 8 reps

dumbbell or barbell shrugs
1 warm-up set, 1 set failure 8 reps

straight bar pushdowns
2 warm-up sets, 1 set failure 8 reps

skullcrushers
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 6-8 reps

machine tricep extensions
1 set failure 8-10 reps

Day 4 Legs:

leg extension
2 warm-up sets, 1 set failure 8-10 reps

leg press
2 warm-up sets, 1 set failure 8-10 reps

squats
2 warm-up sets, 1 set failure 6-10 reps

lying leg curls
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 8-10 reps

standing calf raises
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 8-10 reps
normally followed by a heavier set 4-6 reps failure

I normally warm-up prior to the workout by cleaning up my gym, putting weights away. Then I will do a light set of say incline dumbbells on chest day or light cable pulldowns on back day. Then I'm ready to go. I train 4 days out of a week, but sometimes only 3 depending on my full time job which has me traveling a lot. I'm making some of my best progress right now...

jn6047
Open User Options Menu

Ray200

Few changes to my routine in the last year (working sets only):

Workout A
Sumo deadlift 2x3
Push press 2x5
Chins 2x5
Barbell Curls 1x8 (using Fatgripz)
Grip work

Workout B
Hip belt squat 2x20 (followed by Rader chest pulls)
Dips 2x6
Barbell Row 2x5

Ray
Open User Options Menu

sgb2112

1)Calf raise
2)Low back machine
3)Leg press
4)Row
5)Overhead Press

Once a week, to failure.
Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

I'm going 2/wk with the following workouts:

PUSH 1
Bench Press - 3x3
Incline Flyes/Bench - PFSS*
Leg Ext/Press-PFSS or Leg Press-F/P* bi-set
(*PFSS = pre-fatigue superset, F/P = Full/Partial 2 sets)

PULL 1 (No Legs)
Sup PDs - 2x5 Hvy
Stdg WCs or Rev Curls
Motorcyle Rows
"L" Raises or Rear Delt Mach

PUSH 2
BN Press - 3x3
DB Inclines or Scott Press - Lt
Squat - 1x32 and counting...
Abs?

PULL 2
High Pulls - Hvy or Lt
WG PDs - Hvy or Lt
DB DLs or Leg Curl/DBDLs (pfss)

ARM/CALVES 1 (No RC or Hip work)
Alt DB Curls - 3x5
Seated Triceps Ext - NA
Pushdowns - Lt
Tibia/Rotary Calf - Alt SSs

ARM/CALVES 2 (No RC or Hip work)
Pushdowns - Hvy
Rolling DB Ext - Lt
Curl Machine - NA
Pinwheels - Lt
Standing CRs - DC-Style

The rotation goes like this:
PUSH 1
PULL 1
PUSH 2
ARMS/CALVES 1 (Triceps NA)
PULL 2
PUSH 1
PULL 1
ARMS/CALVES 2 (Biceps NA)
PUSH 2
PULL 2
PUSH 1
ARMS/CALVES 1
PULL 1
PUSH 2
PULL 2
ARMS/CALVES 2
etc.

I figure the snaking frequencies will keep my muscles off balance and hopefully more responsive. Plus it gives me days where I can give my old man RCs, knees, and hips a rest.

I'm looking at Tue-Fri, where the Tue workouts are pretty straight forward and the Fri ones are where I'll put it up a notch intensity-wise.

Scott
Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

EDIT: I will take this accidental double-post opportunity to show you an outside-the-box move from Lee Hayward for hitting the long head of your triceps:

http://www.youtube.com/...h?v=lAL59npMId4
__________________________

On a side note, I myself just did NA work on an Overhead TX machine on Friday and my triceps long heads have been wonderfully sore all weekend.

The problem with this machine was the lack of bracing for the upper arms, which became apparent as I lowered the weight single-handedly. I could see this being a problem as I get stronger on the move (i.e. triceps strength going up faster than stabilizing strength of RCs).

Lee's idea (or the idea he got from that trainer kid) could be something to try.
Open User Options Menu

thebiggfella

I've been doing the following routine since 6th April 2011:

WOA
Palms-down chins (positive, static & negative failure)
Deadlifts (positive failure)
Dumbell lateral raises (positive failure)

WOB
Dip (static & negative failure)
Nautilus Nitro seated rows (postitive failure)
Nautilus Nitro vertical chest press (positive failure)

WOC
Palms-up chin (static & negative failure)
Nautilus Nitro shoulder press (positive failure)
Nautilus Nitro leg press (positive failure)

WOD
Dips (positive, static & negative failure)
Partial deadlifts (positive failure)
EZ preachers (positive failure)

- No 'warm-up' and just the one all out set for each exercise to the failure points as mentioned above.
- Use standardised reps as far as possible: slow, safe and smooth with a two second hold in the fully contracted position where the exercises allow.
- No pausing between reps (apart from deadlifts) during a set and avoid of momentum and undue acceleration during the negative phase.
- Average one workout per week on a cyclical basis.
- Breathe with quick, shallow and constant breaths and keep face relaxed.
- Utilise the 'rush factor' (no rest) approach. Have everything set up prior to starting the workout.

EZ preachers added on 7th October 2011 to WOD, 15th October 2011 added dumbell lateral raises to WOA.
Open User Options Menu

H.I.T. Believer

A
medx chest press superslow 1:00 tul
medx chest press regular speeds 15 reps
Nautilus row 2 sets 10-15
nautilus pullover or 10 degree chest
medx overhead press or medx lateral raise
Medx bicep or medx tricep
medx 4 way neck
B
avenger leg press or medx leg press or duo squat or belt squats
medx lying leg press or medx seated leg press
Nautilus hip and back or medx leg extension
nautilus ab or calf raise
Open User Options Menu

db144

Deadlift
Pulldown
Behind Neck Press

Bent Row
Incline Press
Wrist Roller

d
Open User Options Menu

pyro13g

Ohio, USA

High volume eating and sleeping.

This year I am focusing on getting rid of the pain in my shoulders so I can actually sleep more than a couple hours at a time. I will basically be back in therapy for them. Hopefully the fronts will atrophy a little bit which should help me.

2012 is the year I let my body be what it was meant to be, a sprinter. Workout, same ol' Darden HIT routines, once every 7-14 days, Paleo type diet.
Open User Options Menu

mentzer's boy

Monday:

1.abs-swiss ball jack knife 1x12
2.leg extension 1x15
3.front squats 1x12-20
4.dips 1x6-8
5.floor push up 1x8-12
6.underhand pulldown 1x6-8
7.deadlift 1x5-8
8.bodylastics lateral raise 1x8
9.bodylastics shoulder press 1x6-8
10.triceps push up 1x8
11.static biceps curl 1x
12.single standing calves 1x20

Thursday:

1.swiss ball leg curl 1x15-20
2.bodylastics squats 1x20
3.floor push up 1x10
4.isometric pec fly 1x
5.static pulldown 1x
6.underhand grip row 1x10
7.bodylastics rear delt 1x8
8.shoulder reverse fly 1x8
9.shoulder plate 1x12
10.bodylastics triceps extension1x10
11.bodylastics biceps curl 1x12
Open User Options Menu

keith james

Turpin wrote:
Back/shoulders/biceps;

V`bar pulldown; 3 x3 & 1 x8 reps
D/bell row; 3 x3 & 1 x15 reps
Lateral raise; 3 x3 & 2 x10 reps
supersetted with
Rear lateral raise; 3 x3 & 2 x10 reps
Bi-lateral D/bell curl; 3 x3 & 1 x8 reps.

Legs;

Belt squat; warm up the 3 x 15 reps
Sissy Squat; 2 x15 reps
Donkey calf raise 2 x15 reps
Weighted hypers 2 x20 reps

Chest/triceps;

D/bell bench press 3 x3 & 1 x10 reps
Floor flyes ( deadstarts from floor); 3 x3 & 1 x15 reps
lying tricep ext(deadstarts from floor); 3 x3 & 1 x8 reps
Rope pushdown ; 2 x 15 reps to finish.

I have contemplated grouping back/chest together in one workout & on another day bicep/tricep in order that I could further reduce workout time by the performance of antagonistic supersetting , but the above is where I am at presently & progress has been quite good.

T.


Hi Guys

This is my first post on this forum, i have been a viewer for quite some time.
This week i am starting the second week of the big routine, as i have the book.

Alao sorry if this is the wrong place to ask , but what other books of Dr. Darden feature the super slow routine or is it just the Big book, many thanks.
Keith.
Open User Options Menu

g0ld3nuncw

North Carolina, USA

2 Week Routine then Repeat
1 set of each

Week 1 Monday
Deadlift (Bar) : x8
Chin ups (Palms forward) w/ 3 neg
Hammer Strength Row : 10-12
Incline Dumbell Press : x 8-10
Nautilus Bench Press : x 8-10
Nautilus Overhead Press : x 10-12
French Press : 8-10
Nautilus Dip Machine : 10-12
Dumbell Curls : 8-10
Nautilus Preacher Curl : 10-12
Wrist Curls (Palms Up/Palms Down): x15
Rice Bucket Hand Openers/Closers
Leg Lifts - x 15-20

Week 1 / Thursday
Nautilus Torso Pulldown : x 10-12
Nautilus Pullover : x 8-10
Bent Barbell Row : x 8-10
Incline : x 6-8
Nautilus 10 degree : x 10-12
Dumbell Side Laterals : x 10-12
Incline Dumbell Curls : x 8-10
Nautilus Compound Bicep : x 10-12
Close Grip Bench Press : x 8-10
Cable Pressdowns : x 10-12
Nautilus 4-Way Neck : 12-15 each side
Cybex forearm machine Routine
Planks

Week 1 / Saturday
Squat : x 10
Nautilus Duo Squat : 8-10
Nautilus Leg Ext : 12-15
Nautilus Hip & Back : 10-12
Nautilus Abductor/Adductor: 12-15
Cybex Seated Calf Raise : x 15-20

Week 2 / Monday
Chin ups (Neutral Grip) w/ 3 Neg
Deadlift (Hex Bar) x 8
Low Cable Row - x 10-12
Nautilus Double Chest - 8-10 Press/ 10-12 Pec Dec
Nautilus Side Lateral : x 10-12
Nautilus Rear Delt : x 10-12
Nautilus Multi Bicep : x 8-10
Cable Curl : x 8-10
Weighted Dips : x 10-12
Paramount Overhead Tricep Raise: x 10-12
Hammer Strength Grip Machine: x 15-20
V Situps

Week 2 / Thursday
Chinups (V Grip) - x 8-10
1 arm dumbell row - x 8-10
Nautilus Rows : x 10-12
Bent Dumbell Laterals : x 10-12
Flat Dumbell Press : x 6-8
Nautilus 40 Degree Fly : x 8-10
Barbell Curl : x 8
Nautilus Plate Load Tricep Extension : x 10-12
Nautilus 4-Way Neck : x 12-15
Nautilus Ab Machine : 15-20

Week 2 / Saturday
Squat : x 15
Nautilus Compound Leg : x 10-12
Nautilus Leg Curl : x 12
Nautilus Abductor/Adductor : x 12-15
1 Leg Calf Raise : x 15-20

I take a week off every 2 months
Open User Options Menu

sgb2112

Marcph's 2012 routine..hey, Troy Polumalu uses it, a real athletes, so its the best.

http://youtu.be/8oXa8qVHDaQ
Open User Options Menu

Hitit

Marcph's 2012 routine..hey, Troy Polumalu uses it, a real athletes, so its the best.

http://youtu.be/8oXa8qVHDaQ

I'd be hurt/injured the first day doing that...
Open User Options Menu

theHITman

keith james wrote:
Hi Guys

This is my first post on this forum, i have been a viewer for quite some time.
This week i am starting the second week of the big routine, as i have the book.

Alao sorry if this is the wrong place to ask , but what other books of Dr. Darden feature the super slow routine or is it just the Big book, many thanks.
Keith.


Bigger Muscles in 42 Days uses Super Slow routines, although at a much higher frequency, and will need two very willing and understanding spotters for the last 2 weeks.

The New HIT uses Super Slow routines designed for muscle building.

The Bowflex Body (or something like that) has lots of Super Slow routines in there I believe. You'll need to replace the Bowflex exercises with equivalent machine or free weight exercises (unless of course you have a Bowflex!).

The New Bodybuilding for Old School Results is a great compendium of a lot of the routines used in previous books (including BIG, and 42-Days) with a few more for good measure.

There are other books that include lots of SuperSlow routines, but they're generally fat loss books, so I've discounted them assuming your goal is muscle gain based on the fact you've chosen the BIG routine to be getting on with! If that was an inaccurate assumption, let me know.

That's all the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Welcome to the forum, Keith!
Open User Options Menu

summaHIT

Ontario, CAN

I am trying something new.
I am using a 3 way split and have an A & B routine for each split.
I am shooting for around 10 reps on set 1 and rest 30 seconds between sets and try to do 3 or 4 sets. Similar to DC but I am not shooting for complete failure.

1a-Leg Press, Toe Press, Romanian deadlift, Inverted Crunch, ab wheel
2a-Dips, 1 arm db shoulder press, Chest Fly, T-cep press down.
3a-Mid cable row, Pull down, Concentration curls, fore arms.

1b- Trab bar deads, Hyper extensions, db calf raise, hanging leg raise.
2b-Pull over, High cable row, Bent over lateral raise, single arms cable bicep curl, fore arms.
3b- Inc db press, Upright row, close grip bench press, Lateral Raise.

This is from memory so I may have mixed up a few exercises.

Open User Options Menu

perrymk

My shoulder is acting up again so upper body work is on hold. In the meantime,

Mon-Wed-Fri
*squat using topsquat
warmup 5 reps
warmup 3 reps
1 set of 20
(if I do fewer than 20, I do second set to make 20 total reps)

*donkey calf raise
warmup 5 reps
1 set of 20
(if I do fewer than 20, I do second set to make 20 total reps)

*hanging leg raise
as many as I can, currently around 15 or 16.

Tues-Thurs
*one set in incline situps, as many as I feel like, usually 25 or so.

Walk the dog 2 miles each weekday with 15 pounds in a small backpack (I wear the pack, not the dog although she has worn packs before), Saturdays walk 5-8 mile trail in a local park with 35 pounds in a pack. I try to do a different trail each weekend.
Open User Options Menu

WesH

Super Slow lifting speeds were unknown to me at the time I quit training (1982). In those days, proper 2/4 on Nautilus was considered pretty slow. Accordingly, I'm giving 10/10 a try as follows:

A
Ovhd Press
Decline Press
Super Pullover
Bentover Row
Leg Press

B
Leg Ext
Prone Leg Curl
Calf Raise
10-degree Chest
Lateral Raise
Rowing Torso
Multi-Biceps

My equipment is old Nautilus with bearings. Workout A produces a level of triceps soreness I've never before experienced.
Open User Options Menu

J-son

jn6047 wrote:
Day 1 Chest/bis:

incline bench press
3 warm-ups 1 set failure 5-8 rep(sometimes with a forced rep or two, or rest pause)

Hammer chest press
1 warm-up. 1 set failure 5-8 reps

incline db flys
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 8 reps

Nautilus multi-bicep 1 arm curls
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 8-10 reps

cambered bar curls
1 warm-up 1 set failure 6-8 reps

alternating dumbbell hammer curls
1 set failure 6-8 reps

Day 2 Back:

Hammer pulldowns or Nautilus plate load pullover
2 warm-up sets, 1 set failure 6-8 reps

barbell row
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 6-8 reps

wide cable rows
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 6-8 reps

deadlifts
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 4-8 reps

dumbbell rear delt fly
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 6-8 reps

Day 3 Shoulders/Traps/Tris:

dumbbell shoulder press
3 warm-ups, 1 set failure 6-8 reps

seated dumbbell lateral raise
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 6-8 reps

cable 1 arm laterals
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 8 reps

dumbbell or barbell shrugs
1 warm-up set, 1 set failure 8 reps

straight bar pushdowns
2 warm-up sets, 1 set failure 8 reps

skullcrushers
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 6-8 reps

machine tricep extensions
1 set failure 8-10 reps

Day 4 Legs:

leg extension
2 warm-up sets, 1 set failure 8-10 reps

leg press
2 warm-up sets, 1 set failure 8-10 reps

squats
2 warm-up sets, 1 set failure 6-10 reps

lying leg curls
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 8-10 reps

standing calf raises
1 warm-up, 1 set failure 8-10 reps
normally followed by a heavier set 4-6 reps failure

I normally warm-up prior to the workout by cleaning up my gym, putting weights away. Then I will do a light set of say incline dumbbells on chest day or light cable pulldowns on back day. Then I'm ready to go. I train 4 days out of a week, but sometimes only 3 depending on my full time job which has me traveling a lot. I'm making some of my best progress right now...

jn6047


Looks like DY workout, how long have you used it and what results so far?

//Jonas
Open User Options Menu

fbcoach

fbcoach wrote:
MONDAY

Bench Press
3x3

Chest Press Machine
1x10

LatPulls
1x10

Farmers Walk

THURSDAY

DeadLifts
3x3

Farmer's Walk

+Each week I will add 2 1/2-5 lbs until I can no longer perform a complete rep without stuttering. When I plateau, I will take a few days off, then reset my weights 10-20lbs lighter and begin again reaching to higher plateaus.


I'll be adding in on Thursdays (this morning):

Rows 1x10
Incline DB Press 1x10

Open User Options Menu
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy