MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
Rob's 'No More Excuses' Log
First | Prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

Ray200

sirloin wrote:

Hey Ray, i know powerlifters that use it all the time, and when they do test their raw max, theres carryover. Time will tell.
Its kinda like using reverse bands, it acts like a spotter, it stretches out at the bottom and wants to recoil making the bottom and mid range easier.
Yeah Bells talked about how it makes you tuc your elbows down, i do this anyway (less impingement). Takes a little getting used to


You rised me up, so i could walk on mountains lol


Yes, I read that it does transfer to competition lifts so it does look like it's worthwhile for those with shoulder injuries. I'm thinking of doing CGB Presses for a cycle, just to give my own shoulders a break from the wide benching and Gironda dips, so the Slingshot post and elbow position struck a nerve (luckily, not literally). No need for a Slingshot just now but keeping it in mind--just in case.
Actually, it was Boyzone who turned up at Glasgow. There are 1000s of boybands and I struggle to differentiate between them. The record industry just spews them out and watches them sink or swim. In this case it was a lot of women in their 30s making up the bulk of the audience. The Glasgow diet is not a forgiving one.

Cheers,
Ray
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Ray200 wrote:
sirloin wrote:

Hey Ray, i know powerlifters that use it all the time, and when they do test their raw max, theres carryover. Time will tell.
Its kinda like using reverse bands, it acts like a spotter, it stretches out at the bottom and wants to recoil making the bottom and mid range easier.
Yeah Bells talked about how it makes you tuc your elbows down, i do this anyway (less impingement). Takes a little getting used to


You rised me up, so i could walk on mountains lol

Yes, I read that it does transfer to competition lifts so it does look like it's worthwhile for those with shoulder injuries. I'm thinking of doing CGB Presses for a cycle, just to give my own shoulders a break from the wide benching and Gironda dips, so the Slingshot post and elbow position struck a nerve (luckily, not literally). No need for a Slingshot just now but keeping it in mind--just in case.
Actually, it was Boyzone who turned up at Glasgow. There are 1000s of boybands and I struggle to differentiate between them. The record industry just spews them out and watches them sink or swim. In this case it was a lot of women in their 30s making up the bulk of the audience. The Glasgow diet is not a forgiving one.

Cheers,
Ray


Yeah gotta change it up. Sling is just another variable / tool in the box.

Boyzone...ughh, id just like to point out their from the south of this island lol. Got tickets for Muse next year, new album is off the chain.

Open User Options Menu

ron33

Rob , don't know if u have tried it , Had several friends that were heavy benchers with dinged up shoulders. Use to do set of bent flyes before each set of bench , and switched to dbells to heal. Seemed to work when switched back to bar poundage went up ..
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

ron33 wrote:
Rob , don't know if u have tried it , Had several friends that were heavy benchers with dinged up shoulders. Use to do set of bent flyes before each set of bench , and switched to dbells to heal. Seemed to work when switched back to bar poundage went up ..


Hey Ron, thankfully the shoulders arent too bad, just a little twinge in the left, i do lots of light resistance band work before each workout, flyes, face pulls, band aparts, overhead presses etc, gets plenty of blood in them with not too much fatigue for the heavy work.
Starting to think i should also do more pulling volume aswell.

Cheers Bud.
Open User Options Menu

ron33

sirloin wrote:
ron33 wrote:
Rob , don't know if u have tried it , Had several friends that were heavy benchers with dinged up shoulders. Use to do set of bent flyes before each set of bench , and switched to dbells to heal. Seemed to work when switched back to bar poundage went up ..

Hey Ron, thankfully the shoulders arent too bad, just a little twinge in the left, i do lots of light resistance band work before each workout, flyes, face pulls, band aparts, overhead presses etc, gets plenty of blood in them with not too much fatigue for the heavy work.
Starting to think i should also do more pulling volume aswell.

Cheers Bud.

Yes , Rob they also did a row before each set of bench, or pull up- down before inclines . With fine results . Cheers .
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

ron33 wrote:
sirloin wrote:
ron33 wrote:
Rob , don't know if u have tried it , Had several friends that were heavy benchers with dinged up shoulders. Use to do set of bent flyes before each set of bench , and switched to dbells to heal. Seemed to work when switched back to bar poundage went up ..

Hey Ron, thankfully the shoulders arent too bad, just a little twinge in the left, i do lots of light resistance band work before each workout, flyes, face pulls, band aparts, overhead presses etc, gets plenty of blood in them with not too much fatigue for the heavy work.
Starting to think i should also do more pulling volume aswell.

Cheers Bud.
Yes , Rob they also did a row before each set of bench, or pull up- down before inclines . With fine results . Cheers .


Ha, went to the doc today for my 6 month check (kidney / stroke), and told him about my shoulder, after examining it, he thinks ive a torn tendon, ive to get an MRI to see whats going on in it ffs!
Still, thankfully i can work around it, and ill have to lighten the loads a bit and (cant believe am saying this)...do more reps ugghh...for now.
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

sirloin wrote:
ron33 wrote:
sirloin wrote:
ron33 wrote:
Rob , don't know if u have tried it , Had several friends that were heavy benchers with dinged up shoulders. Use to do set of bent flyes before each set of bench , and switched to dbells to heal. Seemed to work when switched back to bar poundage went up ..

Hey Ron, thankfully the shoulders arent too bad, just a little twinge in the left, i do lots of light resistance band work before each workout, flyes, face pulls, band aparts, overhead presses etc, gets plenty of blood in them with not too much fatigue for the heavy work.
Starting to think i should also do more pulling volume aswell.

Cheers Bud.
Yes , Rob they also did a row before each set of bench, or pull up- down before inclines . With fine results . Cheers .


Ha, went to the doc today for my 6 month check (kidney / stroke), and told him about my shoulder, after examining it, he thinks ive a torn tendon, ive to get an MRI to see whats going on in it ffs!
Still, thankfully i can work around it, and ill have to lighten the loads a bit and (cant believe am saying this)...do more reps ugghh...for now.



go back to machines, free weights are killing ya....just kidding with you, lol
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

hit4me wrote:
sirloin wrote:
ron33 wrote:
sirloin wrote:
ron33 wrote:
Rob , don't know if u have tried it , Had several friends that were heavy benchers with dinged up shoulders. Use to do set of bent flyes before each set of bench , and switched to dbells to heal. Seemed to work when switched back to bar poundage went up ..

Hey Ron, thankfully the shoulders arent too bad, just a little twinge in the left, i do lots of light resistance band work before each workout, flyes, face pulls, band aparts, overhead presses etc, gets plenty of blood in them with not too much fatigue for the heavy work.
Starting to think i should also do more pulling volume aswell.

Cheers Bud.
Yes , Rob they also did a row before each set of bench, or pull up- down before inclines . With fine results . Cheers .


Ha, went to the doc today for my 6 month check (kidney / stroke), and told him about my shoulder, after examining it, he thinks ive a torn tendon, ive to get an MRI to see whats going on in it ffs!
Still, thankfully i can work around it, and ill have to lighten the loads a bit and (cant believe am saying this)...do more reps ugghh...for now.


go back to machines, free weights are killing ya....just kidding with you, lol


No way Jose lol. Its an old injury from martial arts training years ago that flurs up every now and then, but, thats how the cookie crumbles:)
Still loads of stuff i can do, as long as i can deadlift, its like Jon Pall Sigmarsson said "theres no point in being alive if you cant deadlift" lol.
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

29-11-18 Gym workout

1. Parallel grip pulldown
Preformed exactly like so...https://youtu.be/WLCRqSxK2tY
110kg x 3 sets of 8

2. Big Z overhead press off pins with reverse bands
70kg + Doubled mini's x 3 sets of 5

3. Rack pull below the knee
200kg x 5

4. Resistance band triceps extension
Doubled mini's x 3 sets of 10,10,8

5. Kneeling resistance band pull/row
Doubled minis x 3 sets of 15

Going forward until i know more about whats going on with my shoulder, the slingshot benches and overhead presses with reverse bands will be my only upper body pressing movements, their MUCH easier on the shoulders. Theres always a way to work around these things.








Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Got myself some new specialty bars today, a new football bar with angled handles to take strain of the shoulders and wrists, a new safety squat bar for box and Hatfield squats, and a new EZ curl bar, the last one i bought had the wrong angling.
So the lever gym has been dismantled and fired in the shed to collect dust lol.

Back training daily again, 2x per day most days, shoulder isnt giving me too much jib, thankfully, tried deadstart benching today with new angled handle football bar, felt much more natural than the straight bar OR the straight handled swiss bar. I set the spotter bars 3" above my chest, going forward i dont see myself benching "full range", better safe than sorry.

Weight is down 5lb, inspite of there being little change in what am eating, still around 3500-4000 most days, come the new year ill drop that to 2500-3000 per day, still meat free.






Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Went with above the knee rack pull for a change yesterday. Worked up to three 5 second static holds with 965lb.

Set up...
- Empty bar, weights on barbell ends, and the "crazy bells (which creates instability) on the inside of the bar - 705lb
- Doubled monster bands - 260lb of tension (which pulls you down harder then dead weight).

Annoyingly, this bar in rated to 1500lb and yet is bowing, moreso than my 800lb rated bar.
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

First lift and hold
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Followed up with one arm rows with 130lbs for 3 sets of 12, and then ez bar curls 110lb x 3 sets of 8

Gonna need a few days after this one. I feel i could go up heavier again on the rack pull, poss 1100lb, but i'd be pushing my luck too much lol. So perhaps sets of 10-20 reps with 700-800lb might be a better / wiser option.

Next workout will be safety bar Hatfield squats, i tried out my new bar a little a few days ago, felt awesome, no back issues, no shoulder or wrist pain, hands free, love it!
Open User Options Menu

Ray200

sirloin wrote:
Followed up with one arm rows with 130lbs for 3 sets of 12, and then ez bar curls 110lb x 3 sets of 8

Gonna need a few days after this one. I feel i could go up heavier again on the rack pull, poss 1100lb, but i'd be pushing my luck too much lol. So perhaps sets of 10-20 reps with 700-800lb might be a better / wiser option.

Next workout will be safety bar Hatfield squats, i tried out my new bar a little a few days ago, felt awesome, no back issues, no shoulder or wrist pain, hands free, love it!


Update us on how you get on with the SSB, Rob. Mine arrived last week and I'm still unsure about it. It feels very unstable and, oddly, more stressful on my lower back than low-bar squats. Still, many cite this as one of its benefits as it does hit the back hard. I need more time to experiment. The flip side is, as you wrote, that there are no shoulder or wrist problems and if you get stuck at the bottom when squatting outwith the rack, you can just use your hands to push yourself up.
Great work on the rack pulls incidentally. Not many people can even hold that sort of weight.

Cheers,
Ray
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Ray200 wrote:
sirloin wrote:
Followed up with one arm rows with 130lbs for 3 sets of 12, and then ez bar curls 110lb x 3 sets of 8

Gonna need a few days after this one. I feel i could go up heavier again on the rack pull, poss 1100lb, but i'd be pushing my luck too much lol. So perhaps sets of 10-20 reps with 700-800lb might be a better / wiser option.

Next workout will be safety bar Hatfield squats, i tried out my new bar a little a few days ago, felt awesome, no back issues, no shoulder or wrist pain, hands free, love it!

Update us on how you get on with the SSB, Rob. Mine arrived last week and I'm still unsure about it. It feels very unstable and, oddly, more stressful on my lower back than low-bar squats. Still, many cite this as one of its benefits as it does hit the back hard. I need more time to experiment. The flip side is, as you wrote, that there are no shoulder or wrist problems and if you get stuck at the bottom when squatting outwith the rack, you can just use your hands to push yourself up.
Great work on the rack pulls incidentally. Not many people can even hold that sort of weight.

Cheers,
Ray


Hey Ray,

Will do bud, try the Hatfield squat, kinda like a Zane leg blaster of sorts, its more balanced, and i felt no strain on my back (took it up to 100kg for a few sets of 10).
https://youtu.be/D-ko97lnlmk

One thing i didnt mention with the rack pull, my wrists are bruised and my hands have lots of wee burst blood vessels, prob best to not take to take it any furthur. The "crazy bells" actually made it so much harder, stability wise, creates the kind of instability you get on farmers walks. My mid section normally doesnt feel it, but its sore now alright, along with my traps, rear delts, forearms, glutes, calfs and hamstrings. Many dont like the rack pull above the knee because it doesnt carry over to the deadlift much, but its still a great exercise non the less, prob done for reps and not max holds though lol.

Cheers
Rob
Open User Options Menu

Equity

sirloin wrote:
Went with above the knee rack pull for a change yesterday. Worked up to three 5 second static holds with 965lb.

Set up...
- Empty bar, weights on barbell ends, and the "crazy bells (which creates instability) on the inside of the bar - 705lb
- Doubled monster bands - 260lb of tension (which pulls you down harder then dead weight).

Annoyingly, this bar in rated to 1500lb and yet is bowing, moreso than my 800lb rated bar.


Curled exactly the same amount the other day Rob...just messing!!! Call it the craic!

Good job. But watch yourself with them heavy loads.

Regards!
Open User Options Menu

Ray200

sirloin wrote:

Hey Ray,

Will do bud, try the Hatfield squat, kinda like a Zane leg blaster of sorts, its more balanced, and i felt no strain on my back (took it up to 100kg for a few sets of 10).
https://youtu.be/D-ko97lnlmk

One thing i didnt mention with the rack pull, my wrists are bruised and my hands have lots of wee burst blood vessels, prob best to not take to take it any furthur. The "crazy bells" actually made it so much harder, stability wise, creates the kind of instability you get on farmers walks. My mid section normally doesnt feel it, but its sore now alright, along with my traps, rear delts, forearms, glutes, calfs and hamstrings. Many dont like the rack pull above the knee because it doesnt carry over to the deadlift much, but its still a great exercise non the less, prob done for reps and not max holds though lol.

Cheers
Rob


Hi Rob,
Damn, I never thought of doing squats with the SSB like that. Considering that's how I do belt squats that's a bit of a failure on my part. I've been reading Mike Boyle's research where the Bulgarian split-squat has replaced squats as the main leg exercise for his trainees and thought of that as an option--and you can potentially load these with incredible weight--but this looks like a more convenient solution. Thanks for the link!
Rack pulls: I think the most I've seen with this is 1,300 lbs. Can't recall the range of motion but it was perhaps 2". Not a lot. Mind you, the crazy bells will make things more difficult. "Wrist bruising" and "burst blood vessels" on the hands--yes, might be a good time to back off a little. I remain unsure about the benefit of strongest range partials. I think the risk outweighs the benefits but, I suppose, sometimes you just have to go for it. Bruce Lee messed up his back doing good mornings with 60kg so there's no way of knowing, albeit you can shape the odds. Great lifting one way or another.

Cheers,
Ray
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Equity wrote:
sirloin wrote:
Went with above the knee rack pull for a change yesterday. Worked up to three 5 second static holds with 965lb.

Set up...
- Empty bar, weights on barbell ends, and the "crazy bells (which creates instability) on the inside of the bar - 705lb
- Doubled monster bands - 260lb of tension (which pulls you down harder then dead weight).

Annoyingly, this bar in rated to 1500lb and yet is bowing, moreso than my 800lb rated bar.

Curled exactly the same amount the other day Rob...just messing!!! Call it the craic!

Good job. But watch yourself with them heavy loads.

Regards!


Haha:) Do ya remember in the mid 90s strongman Manfred Horbel claimed in his book he could curl 440lb for reps, then someone called bullshit and challenged him to do it in public with a 10k prize if he could... of course he didnt show.

Cheers
Rob
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Ray200 wrote:
sirloin wrote:

Hey Ray,

Will do bud, try the Hatfield squat, kinda like a Zane leg blaster of sorts, its more balanced, and i felt no strain on my back (took it up to 100kg for a few sets of 10).
https://youtu.be/D-ko97lnlmk

One thing i didnt mention with the rack pull, my wrists are bruised and my hands have lots of wee burst blood vessels, prob best to not take to take it any furthur. The "crazy bells" actually made it so much harder, stability wise, creates the kind of instability you get on farmers walks. My mid section normally doesnt feel it, but its sore now alright, along with my traps, rear delts, forearms, glutes, calfs and hamstrings. Many dont like the rack pull above the knee because it doesnt carry over to the deadlift much, but its still a great exercise non the less, prob done for reps and not max holds though lol.

Cheers
Rob


Hi Rob,
Damn, I never thought of doing squats with the SSB like that. Considering that's how I do belt squats that's a bit of a failure on my part. I've been reading Mike Boyle's research where the Bulgarian split-squat has replaced squats as the main leg exercise for his trainees and thought of that as an option--and you can potentially load these with incredible weight--but this looks like a more convenient solution. Thanks for the link!
Rack pulls: I think the most I've seen with this is 1,300 lbs. Can't recall the range of motion but it was perhaps 2". Not a lot. Mind you, the crazy bells will make things more difficult. "Wrist bruising" and "burst blood vessels" on the hands--yes, might be a good time to back off a little. I remain unsure about the benefit of strongest range partials. I think the risk outweighs the benefits but, I suppose, sometimes you just have to go for it. Bruce Lee messed up his back doing good mornings with 60kg so there's no way of knowing, albeit you can shape the odds. Great lifting one way or another.

Cheers,
Ray


No worries bud. My understanding was that Bulgarian splits squats where created for super strong advanced weight lifters as a way of reducing overall stress (as their squat had become ultra heavy / stressful). Personally im not a fan of unilateral leg work. Hatfield squats are my new fav:)

I agree with ya on strong range partials for the most part, especially on pressing movements, how many times have we seen skinny kids load up the leg press with every plate in the gym and do these stupid little 3" reps, or donuts doing pressing 400- 500lb on smith machine for 2" reps.
But the deadlift a different kettle of fish, when your holding 700-800lb + every fiber is firing. Just holding 800-1000lb is far more stressfull and is going to send a far greater signal to the brain viva the CNS than what a 400-500lb deadlift off the floor ever could.
For this very reason, i do preform it very often lol.

Best
Rob
Open User Options Menu

Ray200

sirloin wrote:

No worries bud. My understanding was that Bulgarian splits squats where created for super strong advanced weight lifters as a way of reducing overall stress (as their squat had become ultra heavy / stressful). Personally im not a fan of unilateral leg work. Hatfield squats are my new fav:)

I agree with ya on strong range partials for the most part, especially on pressing movements, how many times have we seen skinny kids load up the leg press with every plate in the gym and do these stupid little 3" reps, or donuts doing pressing 400- 500lb on smith machine for 2" reps.
But the deadlift a different kettle of fish, when your holding 700-800lb + every fiber is firing. Just holding 800-1000lb is far more stressfull and is going to send a far greater signal to the brain viva the CNS than what a 400-500lb deadlift off the floor ever could.
For this very reason, i do preform it very often lol.

Best
Rob


Hi Rob,
The BSS has become somewhat bastardised over the years. The original protocol only had the rear foot elevated by 1-2". And, as you pointed out, the coach considered it an adjunct to standard Olympic lifts and squats. But in recent years, through Mike Boyle, it's started to get a following as a replacement for squats. The latter has a deserved reputation, and it makes sense to at least try it and give it a fair go, but it's obvious I'm not built for it.
I'm getting desperate now: low bar squats were great for my back, but not for my knees. Bad football injury years ago and my knee's in a mess already. Ankle's the same. Football again!
I can only do belt squats with 150kg max (6x25kg plates) so unless I spend a shedload (for me) on 50kg plates I have to look at an alternative. BSS or SB squats were the two I settled on. I'm genuinely keen to see what unilateral training will do anyway. Although forced to try it it might be a fun experiment for a cycle. However, the supported SBS looks so similar to belt squats/Zane leg blaster that I have to give it a try.
As for rack pulls: I worked up to something like 650lbs for shrugs with a significant distance from the supports, but that's as heavy as I've ever gone. How much stress would 1000lbs and more put on the system? Is it as draining as standard deads?

Cheers,
Ray
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Ray200 wrote:
sirloin wrote:

No worries bud. My understanding was that Bulgarian splits squats where created for super strong advanced weight lifters as a way of reducing overall stress (as their squat had become ultra heavy / stressful). Personally im not a fan of unilateral leg work. Hatfield squats are my new fav:)

I agree with ya on strong range partials for the most part, especially on pressing movements, how many times have we seen skinny kids load up the leg press with every plate in the gym and do these stupid little 3" reps, or donuts doing pressing 400- 500lb on smith machine for 2" reps.
But the deadlift a different kettle of fish, when your holding 700-800lb + every fiber is firing. Just holding 800-1000lb is far more stressfull and is going to send a far greater signal to the brain viva the CNS than what a 400-500lb deadlift off the floor ever could.
For this very reason, i do preform it very often lol.

Best
Rob

Hi Rob,
The BSS has become somewhat bastardised over the years. The original protocol only had the rear foot elevated by 1-2". And, as you pointed out, the coach considered it an adjunct to standard Olympic lifts and squats. But in recent years, through Mike Boyle, it's started to get a following as a replacement for squats. The latter has a deserved reputation, and it makes sense to at least try it and give it a fair go, but it's obvious I'm not built for it.
I'm getting desperate now: low bar squats were great for my back, but not for my knees. Bad football injury years ago and my knee's in a mess already. Ankle's the same. Football again!
I can only do belt squats with 150kg max (6x25kg plates) so unless I spend a shedload (for me) on 50kg plates I have to look at an alternative. BSS or SB squats were the two I settled on. I'm genuinely keen to see what unilateral training will do anyway. Although forced to try it it might be a fun experiment for a cycle. However, the supported SBS looks so similar to belt squats/Zane leg blaster that I have to give it a try.
As for rack pulls: I worked up to something like 650lbs for shrugs with a significant distance from the supports, but that's as heavy as I've ever gone. How much stress would 1000lbs and more put on the system? Is it as draining as standard deads?

Cheers,
Ray


Hurt your knee playing football? What happened, trip over a blade of grass lol, ah ah rev, foul;)

Yeah, heard about the BSS only having the rear foot eleveted and inch of 2. When i did do unilsteral leg work years ago i always found reverse lunges didnt annoy my knees, but whats next? Jane Fonda classes lol.

Safety bar box squats also seem ok on the knees, havd ya tried those?

Rack pulls; A lot of stress, thats why i dont / cant do them too often, but i could and have deadlifted every day for extended periods. Everytime i come back a little stronger than before (after some revovery time). The pic was my first hold the other day, 900lb with the trap bar, the dumbells at my feet fell off the dam thing lol, thats why i set up on the straight bar, with it i could add the bands.

Helps if i add the pic lol

Open User Options Menu

Equity

sirloin wrote:
Equity wrote:
sirloin wrote:
Went with above the knee rack pull for a change yesterday. Worked up to three 5 second static holds with 965lb.

Set up...
- Empty bar, weights on barbell ends, and the "crazy bells (which creates instability) on the inside of the bar - 705lb
- Doubled monster bands - 260lb of tension (which pulls you down harder then dead weight).

Annoyingly, this bar in rated to 1500lb and yet is bowing, moreso than my 800lb rated bar.

Curled exactly the same amount the other day Rob...just messing!!! Call it the craic!

Good job. But watch yourself with them heavy loads.

Regards!


Haha:) Do ya remember in the mid 90s strongman Manfred Horbel claimed in his book he could curl 440lb for reps, then someone called bullshit and challenged him to do it in public with a 10k prize if he could... of course he didnt show.

Cheers
Rob


Yes Hoerbel. Never heard that story before though.

Tremendous physique and obviously arms especially for a strongman. People have said now he used synthol; not too sure because he wasn't a bodybuilder and how would that benefit him? I'm clueless on this one.

Regards.
Open User Options Menu

Ray200

sirloin wrote:

Hurt your knee playing football? What happened, trip over a blade of grass lol, ah ah rev, foul;)

Yeah, heard about the BSS only having the rear foot eleveted and inch of 2. When i did do unilsteral leg work years ago i always found reverse lunges didnt annoy my knees, but whats next? Jane Fonda classes lol.

Safety bar box squats also seem ok on the knees, havd ya tried those?

Rack pulls; A lot of stress, thats why i dont / cant do them too often, but i could and have deadlifted every day for extended periods. Everytime i come back a little stronger than before (after some revovery time). The pic was my first hold the other day, 900lb with the trap bar, the dumbells at my feet fell off the dam thing lol, thats why i set up on the straight bar, with it i could add the bands.

Helps if i add the pic lol



Nah, not quite. Broken ankle and torn ligaments in ankle and knee. In truth my squat technique was pretty bad before the injuries and didn't help.
BSS are an option. Pink dumbbells and leg warmers may follow.
I could continue with low-bar squats but can see problems in the future. Tried box squats and they're better but just don't like the feel. Belt squats are the only variant I've tried that feels "natural".
Training later today. Aim to do BSS as main and then finish with some light SBS to test the water. Looking forward to it. If the former do prove beneficial then they'll be both a surprise and a great find. If they don't ... no problem. Try something else.
Still, feels odd: I'm more into strongman and powerlifting now than tedious bodybuilding shows (comedy aspect apart). BSS, the shame.

Cheers,
Ray
Open User Options Menu

Ray200

Equity wrote:
Yes Hoerbel. Never heard that story before though.

Tremendous physique and obviously arms especially for a strongman. People have said now he used synthol; not too sure because he wasn't a bodybuilder and how would that benefit him? I'm clueless on this one.

Regards.


Steve Neece was the name of the journalist. He did a series of challenges which, if memory serves, only Anthony Clark agreed to participate in.
Hoeberl said he would prove his curling strength but only if the money was greatly increased. Never happened.
A powerlifter and strongman, but his money was made from his 25" arms so it wouldn't surprise me if he used certain "methods" to increase the size.

R.
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Ray200 wrote:
sirloin wrote:

Hurt your knee playing football? What happened, trip over a blade of grass lol, ah ah rev, foul;)

Yeah, heard about the BSS only having the rear foot eleveted and inch of 2. When i did do unilsteral leg work years ago i always found reverse lunges didnt annoy my knees, but whats next? Jane Fonda classes lol.

Safety bar box squats also seem ok on the knees, havd ya tried those?

Rack pulls; A lot of stress, thats why i dont / cant do them too often, but i could and have deadlifted every day for extended periods. Everytime i come back a little stronger than before (after some revovery time). The pic was my first hold the other day, 900lb with the trap bar, the dumbells at my feet fell off the dam thing lol, thats why i set up on the straight bar, with it i could add the bands.

Helps if i add the pic lol



Nah, not quite. Broken ankle and torn ligaments in ankle and knee. In truth my squat technique was pretty bad before the injuries and didn't help.
BSS are an option. Pink dumbbells and leg warmers may follow.
I could continue with low-bar squats but can see problems in the future. Tried box squats and they're better but just don't like the feel. Belt squats are the only variant I've tried that feels "natural".
Training later today. Aim to do BSS as main and then finish with some light SBS to test the water. Looking forward to it. If the former do prove beneficial then they'll be both a surprise and a great find. If they don't ... no problem. Try something else.
Still, feels odd: I'm more into strongman and powerlifting now than tedious bodybuilding shows (comedy aspect apart). BSS, the shame.

Cheers,
Ray


Try the squat bar properly today, and whata ya know, i didnt like it lol. Box squat felt all sorts of wrong, Hatfield squats better, but as soon as any real weight was put on, i felt it in the back (compression). We live and learn.

For me, the TBDL and rack pull both below and above the knee still rule supreme:)






Open User Options Menu
First | Previous | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | Next | Last
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy