MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
I am Doing An Experiment on Myself
Author
Rating
Options

hit4me

Florida, USA

since there have been many discussions on free weights vs machines, and i have been an advocate of machines lately and since my golf season during the weekdays are practically over for the next few months, i have decided to go back to my roots and perform the exercises using free weights instead of machines. i will also deviate from HIT and use volume split routine (i know its blasphemy and i will probably go to hell for committing this sin, lol)
this week i am already sore, but its a good sore......i will keep you posted on how my body composition changes...there will be no pics (not wasting my time on that)
and if i come to the conclusion that free weights are better, i will definitely concede to that

i will be training arnold style, 6 days a week 5 sets of everything
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

==Scott==
If you've been working out HIT style for months before this I doubt you'll see much in the way of physical changes worth photographing in a few months but you may feel a significant change?
Open User Options Menu

Equity

hit4me wrote:
since there have been many discussions on free weights vs machines, and i have been an advocate of machines lately and since my golf season during the weekdays are practically over for the next few months, i have decided to go back to my roots and perform the exercises using free weights instead of machines. i will also deviate from HIT and use volume split routine (i know its blasphemy and i will probably go to hell for committing this sin, lol)
this week i am already sore, but its a good sore......i will keep you posted on how my body composition changes...there will be no pics (not wasting my time on that)
and if i come to the conclusion that free weights are better, i will definitely concede to that

i will be training arnold style, 6 days a week 5 sets of everything


You'll have to change your username to 'vol4me' lol!
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

entsminger wrote:
==Scott==
If you've been working out HIT style for months before this I doubt you'll see much in the way of physical changes worth photographing in a few months but you may feel a significant change?


been doing HIT for about 4 years
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

Equity wrote:
hit4me wrote:
since there have been many discussions on free weights vs machines, and i have been an advocate of machines lately and since my golf season during the weekdays are practically over for the next few months, i have decided to go back to my roots and perform the exercises using free weights instead of machines. i will also deviate from HIT and use volume split routine (i know its blasphemy and i will probably go to hell for committing this sin, lol)
this week i am already sore, but its a good sore......i will keep you posted on how my body composition changes...there will be no pics (not wasting my time on that)
and if i come to the conclusion that free weights are better, i will definitely concede to that

i will be training arnold style, 6 days a week 5 sets of everything

You'll have to change your username to 'vol4me' lol!


now that's funny...i love it
Open User Options Menu

ron33

hit4me wrote:
since there have been many discussions on free weights vs machines, and i have been an advocate of machines lately and since my golf season during the weekdays are practically over for the next few months, i have decided to go back to my roots and perform the exercises using free weights instead of machines. i will also deviate from HIT and use volume split routine (i know its blasphemy and i will probably go to hell for committing this sin, lol)
this week i am already sore, but its a good sore......i will keep you posted on how my body composition changes...there will be no pics (not wasting my time on that)
and if i come to the conclusion that free weights are better, i will definitely concede to that

i will be training arnold style, 6 days a week 5 sets of everything

Did that style training for few yrs when first started weight training,late teens. Progressed for a while , then remember being tired all the time , waking up at night hurting all over and feeling like I had some kind of virus , flu etc. . Switched up my training just 4 sets chest shoulder tri. day 1 , 4 sets legs back bi day2 compound movements and started progressing again . Don't know your age but I am almost 60 and I know the workout ur going to try would ware me out totally now days. Good Luck ...
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

ron33 wrote:
hit4me wrote:
since there have been many discussions on free weights vs machines, and i have been an advocate of machines lately and since my golf season during the weekdays are practically over for the next few months, i have decided to go back to my roots and perform the exercises using free weights instead of machines. i will also deviate from HIT and use volume split routine (i know its blasphemy and i will probably go to hell for committing this sin, lol)
this week i am already sore, but its a good sore......i will keep you posted on how my body composition changes...there will be no pics (not wasting my time on that)
and if i come to the conclusion that free weights are better, i will definitely concede to that

i will be training arnold style, 6 days a week 5 sets of everything
Did that style training for few yrs when first started weight training,late teens. Progressed for a while , then remember being tired all the time , waking up at night hurting all over and feeling like I had some kind of virus , flu etc. . Switched up my training just 4 sets chest shoulder tri. day 1 , 4 sets legs back bi day2 compound movements and started progressing again . Don't know your age but I am almost 60 and I know the workout ur going to try would ware me out totally now days. Good Luck ...


54.....if it wears me out, then i will scale back....nothing to failure, just chasing the pump
Open User Options Menu

Ray200

hit4me wrote:

i will be training arnold style, 6 days a week 5 sets of everything


I suppose it's an experiment but training 6 days a week seems to be going to extremes on the frequency simply because it's the antithesis of HIT protocol. Mind you, depends on your age, the volume and intensity, and if these last 2 are properly regulated then even 7 days a week is more than doable. Regardless, good luck with this. Great to see a few more training logs on the site. (Mine would bore the life out of everyone: squats, squats and more squats.)

Cheers,
Ray
Open User Options Menu

Brian Johnston

Ontario, CAN

Why does the higher volume program have to be like that? Unless you're on drugs you're setting yourself up for failure (therefore, HIT is superior). Why not train 2-3 times a week on a split, with each part trained for a handful of sets?
Open User Options Menu

tompuderbaugh

I agree with the above poster, this high set/volume routine, 6 days a week would put me into severe over training within 1 or two weeks (maybe quicker). It's just too draining on the CNS.

Personally, I would have NO energy for anything resembling a normal life and I would be catching every cold and/or flu bug that comes along.

Watch yourself closely and STOP immediately if you resemble the above.

Good training to all!
Open User Options Menu

Nwlifter

Question, your testing the difference between machines and free weights? If so, won't changing volume and all that really confuse the results?
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

Brian Johnston wrote:
Why does the higher volume program have to be like that? Unless you're on drugs you're setting yourself up for failure (therefore, HIT is superior). Why not train 2-3 times a week on a split, with each part trained for a handful of sets?


because its an experiment...will i burn out, possibly, if so then i will scale it down...if not then i will march forward
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

Nwlifter wrote:
Question, your testing the difference between machines and free weights? If so, won't changing volume and all that really confuse the results?


using a program that i used 30 years ago, free weights, higher volume and frequency

yes the results will not be the same
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

54.....if it wears me out, then i will scale back....nothing to failure, just chasing the pump

==Scott==
Great experiment, don't get discouraged by these guys into trying something less. Give it a shot, what have you got to lose?
Open User Options Menu

sgb2112

I would train as Brian Johnston suggested and take this mire to heart form Arnold, especially aman in his 50's.

QUESTION
How much cardio do you do, what kind, and how do you fit it in with your weight training?

ANSWER
"If you grew up in Austria in the 1960s as I did, or trained at Gold?s Venice in the 1970s as I also did, there was no such word as cardio. When you wanted to lose fat, you cut back Opens a New Window. on the amount of food you were eating, particularly carbohydrates. And some of us, like Ken Waller and Frank Zane and me, liked to run on the beach or ride a bicycle Opens a New Window. around town now and then because we knew it was healthy and it seemed to help you lose a little extra weight before a contest. But the idea of training your heart, specifcally, was largely foreign to us.

Looking back, I wish I had done more dedicated cardiovascular training, not just for its benefcial effect on the waistline but for the heart itself. With cardiovascular disease the No. 1 killer of American men, everyone should make it a goal to have a healthy heart, and that means exercising as much as it does following a healthy diet.

I embraced cardio training when my Hollywood career took of. I didn?t have time to train for hours as I used to, so I needed a way to burn extra calories and work my heart in shorter, more efficient workouts. These days, I combine cardio and weight training in the same session.

I begin on an exercise bike or elliptical (I don?t want to terminate my knees on a treadmill). After five minutes at an easy pace, I go at the hardest pace I can maintain for 30 seconds, then I back of to an easy pace for 30 seconds. I repeat these intervals for 10 minutes, then begin my weight workout. This gets me warmed up and gets cardio out of the way early. Otherwise, I might be tempted to skip it after lifting. Apart from this, I?ll hike for up to an hour when time allows, and sometimes I ride my bike.

No matter what, I make sure to get some kind of cardiovascular work in every day. If you?re interested in being as lean as possible and living a long, healthy life, I suggest you do the same."

In another article, Arnold defends running.

"My favorite form of cardio when we worked out at Gold's was to run down to the beach and run in the sand after I finished lifting," he wrote. "Today, I don't run, but I still ride my bike through Santa Monica and Venice. Or I do interval-style training on a stationary bike."

Running was even more prominent in Arnold's training when he was cutting for a contest, which is why, 3-5 times a week throughout this program, your assignment is to run 1-2 miles as fast as possible. How fast it ends up being doesn't matter; all that matters is that it's as fast as feels possible to you.


Open User Options Menu

sirloin

I train everyday, sometimes twice, allsgood, but everything must be dialed in right, good nights sleep, afternoon nap, low stress, and I no longer worry about getting enough protein, moreso, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants to reduce oxidative stress, aviod sugar and foodstuffs that promote inflammation, and get plenty of tumeric, ginger, fish oils, leafy green veggies etc.

Best of luck with the experiment Dan, and stay out of the 19th hole;)
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

entsminger wrote:
54.....if it wears me out, then i will scale back....nothing to failure, just chasing the pump

==Scott==
Great experiment, don't get discouraged by these guys into trying something less. Give it a shot, what have you got to lose?


thats what I thought, what do I have to lose.....
not my life, not my job, not my pet, not my friends, not my family, not my health
so I figured that for the next 4 to 6 weeks, what the hell, give it a shot and pay attention to positive or negative changes with-in the body
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

sgb2112 wrote:
I would train as Brian Johnston suggested and take this mire to heart form Arnold, especially aman in his 50's.

QUESTION
How much cardio do you do, what kind, and how do you fit it in with your weight training?

ANSWER
"If you grew up in Austria in the 1960s as I did, or trained at Gold?s Venice in the 1970s as I also did, there was no such word as cardio. When you wanted to lose fat, you cut back Opens a New Window. on the amount of food you were eating, particularly carbohydrates. And some of us, like Ken Waller and Frank Zane and me, liked to run on the beach or ride a bicycle Opens a New Window. around town now and then because we knew it was healthy and it seemed to help you lose a little extra weight before a contest. But the idea of training your heart, specifcally, was largely foreign to us.

Looking back, I wish I had done more dedicated cardiovascular training, not just for its benefcial effect on the waistline but for the heart itself. With cardiovascular disease the No. 1 killer of American men, everyone should make it a goal to have a healthy heart, and that means exercising as much as it does following a healthy diet.

I embraced cardio training when my Hollywood career took of. I didn?t have time to train for hours as I used to, so I needed a way to burn extra calories and work my heart in shorter, more efficient workouts. These days, I combine cardio and weight training in the same session.

I begin on an exercise bike or elliptical (I don?t want to terminate my knees on a treadmill). After five minutes at an easy pace, I go at the hardest pace I can maintain for 30 seconds, then I back of to an easy pace for 30 seconds. I repeat these intervals for 10 minutes, then begin my weight workout. This gets me warmed up and gets cardio out of the way early. Otherwise, I might be tempted to skip it after lifting. Apart from this, I?ll hike for up to an hour when time allows, and sometimes I ride my bike.

No matter what, I make sure to get some kind of cardiovascular work in every day. If you?re interested in being as lean as possible and living a long, healthy life, I suggest you do the same."

In another article, Arnold defends running.

"My favorite form of cardio when we worked out at Gold's was to run down to the beach and run in the sand after I finished lifting," he wrote. "Today, I don't run, but I still ride my bike through Santa Monica and Venice. Or I do interval-style training on a stationary bike."

Running was even more prominent in Arnold's training when he was cutting for a contest, which is why, 3-5 times a week throughout this program, your assignment is to run 1-2 miles as fast as possible. How fast it ends up being doesn't matter; all that matters is that it's as fast as feels possible to you.




agree on the heart....I walk briskly outside for an hour at least 4 days a week
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

sirloin wrote:
I train everyday, sometimes twice, allsgood, but everything must be dialed in right, good nights sleep, afternoon nap, low stress, and I no longer worry about getting enough protein, moreso, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants to reduce oxidative stress, aviod sugar and foodstuffs that promote inflammation, and get plenty of tumeric, ginger, fish oils, leafy green veggies etc.

Best of luck with the experiment Dan, and stay out of the 19th hole;)


its been a week so far....everything is sore...a good sore, and I feel pumped all the time....I did reduce volume on the shoulders and arms (3 sets per exercise instead of 5)because they get a lot of work from back and chest.
legs tomorrow
?.question for you...do you do deadlifts on back/chest day or do you do them on leg day?
playing in a golf tourney today for charity...last 19th hole for me until xmas time, lol
Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

Ditto what most every one else is saying. Too many days: You will injure yourself or run yourslef into the ground.

At most, I'd say do 4 days/week: M, T, Th, Fr. And hold that for no longer than 8-10 weeks.

How many parts are you splitting the body up into?

Furthermore, do NOT do 5 sets unless your reps are low like in the 3-5 range. For most moderate rep ranges (8-12 reps), you should consider 3 sets. And if you do higher reps (15-20) then 2 sets.

Best,
Scott
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

hit4me wrote:
sirloin wrote:
I train everyday, sometimes twice, allsgood, but everything must be dialed in right, good nights sleep, afternoon nap, low stress, and I no longer worry about getting enough protein, moreso, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants to reduce oxidative stress, aviod sugar and foodstuffs that promote inflammation, and get plenty of tumeric, ginger, fish oils, leafy green veggies etc.

Best of luck with the experiment Dan, and stay out of the 19th hole;)

its been a week so far....everything is sore...a good sore, and I feel pumped all the time....I did reduce volume on the shoulders and arms (3 sets per exercise instead of 5)because they get a lot of work from back and chest.
legs tomorrow
?.question for you...do you do deadlifts on back/chest day or do you do them on leg day?
playing in a golf tourney today for charity...last 19th hole for me until xmas time, lol


I comtemplating a natural push / pull powerlifting meet down the line, so to prepare, i bench first then deadlift, or box squat, OHP then power clean from the floor.
Given the volume your using, my advice would be to only deadlift bi-weekly and have it as a leg day, and keep the volume low on that day, have it on the last day of your training week so you at least get one day off.

Ha, well, as long as it was just a soda water and lime lol.


Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

hit4me wrote:
entsminger wrote:
54.....if it wears me out, then i will scale back....nothing to failure, just chasing the pump

==Scott==
Great experiment, don't get discouraged by these guys into trying something less. Give it a shot, what have you got to lose?

thats what I thought, what do I have to lose.....
not my life, not my job, not my pet, not my friends, not my family, not my health
so I figured that for the next 4 to 6 weeks, what the hell, give it a shot and pay attention to positive or negative changes with-in the body


==Scott==
Good for you! To many guys on here wanting tell you what you should do. What they heck do they know what will work for you? The only way to find out things like this is by trial and error. You?ll know soon enough if you like it or not.
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

well, its been 4 weeks of high volume and using free weights and did not worry about cadence, however I controlled the movement.
what I liked about this training....felt pumped all the time...I did enjoty doing free weight movements again, however some old injuries were creeping back(i.e. shoulder and lower back)....
what I didn't like.....felt sore all the time....too much time in the gym, no social life....felt like I was obsessed with working out....too much time doing multiple sets, seems like I am wasting time resting in between sets....not going to failure, I miss that....
can't speak of body composition as I don't think 4 weeks is long enough..but I did notice that I got softer and my strength went down and I also noticed my cardiovascular suffered a little..


therefore, I will be taking a week off and going back to the Nautilus training principles of full body 2xweek


it was fun but not for me

Open User Options Menu

ron33

hit4me wrote:
well, its been 4 weeks of high volume and using free weights and did not worry about cadence, however I controlled the movement.
what I liked about this training....felt pumped all the time...I did enjoty doing free weight movements again, however some old injuries were creeping back(i.e. shoulder and lower back)....
what I didn't like.....felt sore all the time....too much time in the gym, no social life....felt like I was obsessed with working out....too much time doing multiple sets, seems like I am wasting time resting in between sets....not going to failure, I miss that....
can't speak of body composition as I don't think 4 weeks is long enough..but I did notice that I got softer and my strength went down and I also noticed my cardiovascular suffered a little..


therefore, I will be taking a week off and going back to the Nautilus training principles of full body 2xweek


it was fun but not for me

Been wondering how your experiment was going . That's a tough schedule for anyone that has other things to do ..

Open User Options Menu

Resultsbased

As someone else mentioned - this was doomed to fail from the get-go and really doesn't seem like an experiment, but it does reinforce your view that HIT is superior.

Open User Options Menu
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy