MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
'Functional Training and HIT'
First | Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

Landau

Florida, USA

But Billy - I make perfect sense as I am Not trying to Con People with Technical Gobbledegook
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

Putting Functional Training in the title gives the course a shot at drawing those eyeballs, and gave me an excuse to break down the biomechanics involved. It's not a rant against it, sorry, I'm sure you'll find those easily. I tried to lay out what was usable under the broad umbrella "FT" from the point of view of being congruent with anatomy and biomechanics, and finished with how to incorporate the useful stuff into a HIT approach.

==Scott==
After I got to the 4th page or so of this thread I had to stop and try to remember what exactly was the point of this thread. Looking back I think this paragraph above, from about the second post, might help those ( like myself)who were getting lost along the way.
Open User Options Menu

sgb2112

Bill De Simone wrote:
sgb2112 wrote:
Big fan of Gray cook's functional movement screen.

https://youtu.be/p5yqSZaz4ms

I haven't dipped into it, because I've been more into picking apart the exercises, which most media that covers FT seems to focus on.

How do you personally use his material?


Shoulder mobility issue identified and fixed with a few corrective exercises.
Open User Options Menu

sgb2112

Gainz wrote:
Looks like we've managed to venture from one extreme to another on the site recently - from the 'Simplicity' thread to this incomprehensible babble. At the end of the day, there is a lot to be said for "just lift the f**king weight!!!"


He just lifted..

https://youtu.be/5qTOhE5tu10
Open User Options Menu

Bill De Simone

New Jersey, USA

sgb2112 wrote:
Gainz wrote:
Looks like we've managed to venture from one extreme to another on the site recently - from the 'Simplicity' thread to this incomprehensible babble. At the end of the day, there is a lot to be said for "just lift the f**king weight!!!"

He just lifted..

https://youtu.be/...hE5tu10


This was one of the examples I used in a 2014 presentation, and one of the exercises I break down in the course.
Open User Options Menu

Bill De Simone

New Jersey, USA

entsminger wrote:
Putting Functional Training in the title gives the course a shot at drawing those eyeballs, and gave me an excuse to break down the biomechanics involved. It's not a rant against it, sorry, I'm sure you'll find those easily. I tried to lay out what was usable under the broad umbrella "FT" from the point of view of being congruent with anatomy and biomechanics, and finished with how to incorporate the useful stuff into a HIT approach.

==Scott==
After I got to the 4th page or so of this thread I had to stop and try to remember what exactly was the point of this thread. Looking back I think this paragraph above, from about the second post, might help those ( like myself)who were getting lost along the way.


Thank you.
Open User Options Menu

Bill De Simone

New Jersey, USA

Landau wrote:
But Billy - I make perfect sense as I am Not trying to Con People with Technical Gobbledegook


The other kind of you.
Open User Options Menu

Bill De Simone

New Jersey, USA

sgb2112 wrote:
Bill De Simone wrote:
sgb2112 wrote:
Big fan of Gray cook's functional movement screen.

https://youtu.be/p5yqSZaz4ms

I haven't dipped into it, because I've been more into picking apart the exercises, which most media that covers FT seems to focus on.

How do you personally use his material?


Shoulder mobility issue identified and fixed with a few corrective exercises.


When I started 35 years ago, the place I worked for had all clients undergo a structural assessment with a physical therapy. Interesting idea, but everyone had tight hamstrings, rounded shoulders, hypnosis in the thoracic spine,forward head, so it always resulted in similar exercise.
Open User Options Menu

HeavyHitter32

Bill De Simone wrote:

When I started 35 years ago, the place I worked for had all clients undergo a structural assessment with a physical therapy. Interesting idea, but everyone had tight hamstrings, rounded shoulders, hypnosis in the thoracic spine,forward head, so it always resulted in similar exercise.


Traps for many are so overly tight these days working on PCs so much.
Muscle rollers have really become my friend.
Open User Options Menu

Turpin

Bill De Simone wrote:
entsminger wrote:
Ok, I got it, you're just looking to troll. You can declare victory, because I won't bother with any of your posts. Thanks for the input.

==Scott==
Bill, while I agree with much of what you have to say, when I understand it, I have to disagree with the idea that Turpin is a troll. On this site he's about the farthest thing there is from a troll. He documents and shows just about everything he does. It may be radically different from what "Simon says" ha ha, but it seems to work for him.I think he's actually a terminator with a hyper alloy chassis underneath the skin. He does things that would destroy some of us humans.

Well, he's trolling me here. More power to the guys who "just lift". They don't need or want my help. Or anybody else's, for that matter, so other than being trolls, I'm not quite sure why they bother.



Don't worry , I have no intention of posting / trolling on your thread again. I made a point and asked a simple question on your opening post and received only name calling in return and no answer.

T.

Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

Turpin wrote:
Bill De Simone wrote:
entsminger wrote:
Ok, I got it, you're just looking to troll. You can declare victory, because I won't bother with any of your posts. Thanks for the input.

==Scott==
Bill, while I agree with much of what you have to say, when I understand it, I have to disagree with the idea that Turpin is a troll. On this site he's about the farthest thing there is from a troll. He documents and shows just about everything he does. It may be radically different from what "Simon says" ha ha, but it seems to work for him.I think he's actually a terminator with a hyper alloy chassis underneath the skin. He does things that would destroy some of us humans.

Well, he's trolling me here. More power to the guys who "just lift". They don't need or want my help. Or anybody else's, for that matter, so other than being trolls, I'm not quite sure why they bother.


Don't worry , I have no intention of posting / trolling on your thread again. I made a point and asked a simple question on your opening post and received only name calling in return and no answer.

T.


Turps man, if you were really on a fact-finding mission, then maybe you shouldn't lead with the phrase "Utter Nonsense!!"

Unfortunately, that opening battle cry set the tone and this thread has gone downhill since. And it didn't help when Bill immediately bristled in his own responses.

As for the rest of you and your dickless pile-on: I'm ashamed of you. David, Ents --- you guys are better than that.

And who's this Gainz punk? Is he the Forum's latest newbie troll? Or his he an old troll under a new name?

Bill does have quite the vocabulary and may need to restrain some of his verbose tendencies sometimes.

Where Turpin got the idea Bill was proposing an "either-or" proposition, is beyond me. He seems to be talking about skimming the best/safest of FT from the dangerous portions and incorporating it into your HIT or AFT programs.

This thread needs to either Dial-Down or Shut Down entirely.

Best Regards,
Scott
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

amazing, just amazing...???.how some of you mature fellas resort to name calling when there is a disagreement between methods of weight training or fitness or fiber recruitment , high reps and low reps, failure or not failure, crossfit, swimming, running, walking, nautilus, squats or no squats....its just amazing
Open User Options Menu

Gainz

simon-hecubus wrote:
Turpin wrote:
Bill De Simone wrote:
entsminger wrote:
Ok, I got it, you're just looking to troll. You can declare victory, because I won't bother with any of your posts. Thanks for the input.

==Scott==
Bill, while I agree with much of what you have to say, when I understand it, I have to disagree with the idea that Turpin is a troll. On this site he's about the farthest thing there is from a troll. He documents and shows just about everything he does. It may be radically different from what "Simon says" ha ha, but it seems to work for him.I think he's actually a terminator with a hyper alloy chassis underneath the skin. He does things that would destroy some of us humans.

Well, he's trolling me here. More power to the guys who "just lift". They don't need or want my help. Or anybody else's, for that matter, so other than being trolls, I'm not quite sure why they bother.


Don't worry , I have no intention of posting / trolling on your thread again. I made a point and asked a simple question on your opening post and received only name calling in return and no answer.

T.

Turps man, if you were really on a fact-finding mission, then maybe you shouldn't lead with the phrase "Utter Nonsense!!"

Unfortunately, that opening battle cry set the tone and this thread has gone downhill since. And it didn't help when Bill immediately bristled in his own responses.

As for the rest of you and your dickless pile-on: I'm ashamed of you. David, Ents --- you guys are better than that.

And who's this Gainz punk? Is he the Forum's latest newbie troll? Or his he an old troll under a new name?

Bill does have quite the vocabulary and may need to restrain some of his verbose tendencies sometimes.

Where Turpin got the idea Bill was proposing an "either-or" proposition, is beyond me. He seems to be talking about skimming the best/safest of FT from the dangerous portions and incorporating it into your HIT or AFT programs.

This thread needs to either Dial-Down or Shut Down entirely.

Best Regards,
Scott


So just to be clear; calling out overbearing know it alls entails trolling?

Dry your eyes....

Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

Dry this, trollboy!

That know-it-all has forgotten about 10x more than you'll ever know.
Open User Options Menu

Turpin

simon-hecubus wrote:

Where Turpin got the idea Bill was proposing an "either-or" proposition, is beyond me. He seems to be talking about skimming the best/safest of FT from the dangerous portions and incorporating it into your HIT or AFT programs.


Best Regards,
Scott



Here it is Simon :



Bill De Simone wrote:

in spite of all the hype about Functional Training, you know that some new trainer or new exerciser looks at it and says, there is no way I'm having Grandma swing a kettlebell or flip a tire. Unfortunately, unless they already know HIT, there is no readily available alternative.

???????????.
Turpin wrote :

Absolute nonsense ! ? Are you saying that those two extremes are all there is ? Or that one must know HIT to offer any machine based ( or even any sensible free weight ) training routine ?

T.



Nothing more to say than the opening post is absolute nonsense and posted to be intentionally provocative.

T.
Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

simon-hecubus wrote:
Turpin wrote:
Bill De Simone wrote:
entsminger wrote:
Ok, I got it, you're just looking to troll. You can declare victory, because I won't bother with any of your posts. Thanks for the input.

==Scott==
Bill, while I agree with much of what you have to say, when I understand it, I have to disagree with the idea that Turpin is a troll. On this site he's about the farthest thing there is from a troll. He documents and shows just about everything he does. It may be radically different from what "Simon says" ha ha, but it seems to work for him.I think he's actually a terminator with a hyper alloy chassis underneath the skin. He does things that would destroy some of us humans.

Well, he's trolling me here. More power to the guys who "just lift". They don't need or want my help. Or anybody else's, for that matter, so other than being trolls, I'm not quite sure why they bother.


Don't worry , I have no intention of posting / trolling on your thread again. I made a point and asked a simple question on your opening post and received only name calling in return and no answer.

T.

Turps man, if you were really on a fact-finding mission, then maybe you shouldn't lead with the phrase "Utter Nonsense!!"

Unfortunately, that opening battle cry set the tone and this thread has gone downhill since. And it didn't help when Bill immediately bristled in his own responses.

As for the rest of you and your dickless pile-on: I'm ashamed of you. David, Ents --- you guys are better than that.

And who's this Gainz punk? Is he the Forum's latest newbie troll? Or his he an old troll under a new name?

Bill does have quite the vocabulary and may need to restrain some of his verbose tendencies sometimes.

Where Turpin got the idea Bill was proposing an "either-or" proposition, is beyond me. He seems to be talking about skimming the best/safest of FT from the dangerous portions and incorporating it into your HIT or AFT programs.

This thread needs to either Dial-Down or Shut Down entirely.

Best Regards,
Scott


==Scott==
Scott to Scott, come in!! I case you hadn?t noticed I have been trying to agree with DeSimeon , not argue against him??
Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

entsminger wrote:

==Scott==
Scott to Scott, come in!! I case you hadn?t noticed I have been trying to agree with DeSimeon , not argue against him??


I guess I may have looked at the wrong paragraph. Honestly, I don't have the patience for all 4 pages of this thread!

Sorry, Scotto! I'll check again if I get bored!!
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Turpin wrote:
simon-hecubus wrote:

Where Turpin got the idea Bill was proposing an "either-or" proposition, is beyond me. He seems to be talking about skimming the best/safest of FT from the dangerous portions and incorporating it into your HIT or AFT programs.


Best Regards,
Scott


Here it is Simon :



Bill De Simone wrote:

in spite of all the hype about Functional Training, you know that some new trainer or new exerciser looks at it and says, there is no way I'm having Grandma swing a kettlebell or flip a tire. Unfortunately, unless they already know HIT, there is no readily available alternative.

???????????.
Turpin wrote :

Absolute nonsense ! ? Are you saying that those two extremes are all there is ? Or that one must know HIT to offer any machine based ( or even any sensible free weight ) training routine ?

T.


Nothing more to say than the opening post is absolute nonsense and posted to be intentionally provocative.

T.


That opening statement makes me wonder how i got my sis-in-law (who is a grandma) doing 250lb farmers walks and deadlifts, tire flips, heavy prowler pushes, KB swings, viking presses etc...in only a few months after being bed ridden with fibromyalgia for several years.

Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

simon-hecubus wrote:
entsminger wrote:

==Scott==
Scott to Scott, come in!! I case you hadn?t noticed I have been trying to agree with DeSimeon , not argue against him??

I guess I may have looked at the wrong paragraph. Honestly, I don't have the patience for all 4 pages of this thread!

Sorry, Scotto! I'll check again if I get bored!!


===Scott==
I think Bill is a smart guy and most everything he talks to I agree with. He is hard for some lunk heads like me to understand at times as his terminology goes over our heads( I still don?t understand the term moment arm, ha ha) but he?s generally right on stuff he has to say.
Open User Options Menu

Turpin



Bill De Simone wrote:

in spite of all the hype about Functional Training, you know that some new trainer or new exerciser looks at it and says, there is no way I'm having Grandma swing a kettlebell or flip a tire. Unfortunately, unless they already know HIT, there is no readily available alternative.

???????????.
Turpin wrote :

Absolute nonsense ! ? Are you saying that those two extremes are all there is ? Or that one must know HIT to offer any machine based ( or even any sensible free weight ) training routine ?

T.


Nothing more to say than the opening post is absolute nonsense and posted to be intentionally provocative.

T.

That opening statement makes me wonder how i got my sis-in-law (who is a grandma) doing 250lb farmers walks and deadlifts, tire flips, heavy prowler pushes, KB swings, viking presses etc...in only a few months after being bed ridden with fibromyalgia for several years.




According to most on this forum your sis in law ( grandmother ) is simply a genetic anomaly ! ..whilst proclaiming their own genetic predisposition prevents them from doing much at all , BUT they can/will tell you where you are going wrong with your own progress.

T.
Open User Options Menu

Average Al

sirloin wrote:


That opening statement makes me wonder how i got my sis-in-law (who is a grandma) doing 250lb farmers walks and deadlifts, tire flips, heavy prowler pushes, KB swings, viking presses etc...in only a few months after being bed ridden with fibromyalgia for several years.



Bill's focus is on preventing injuries around joints due to the use of improper mechanics in specific exercises. It has nothing to do with fibromyalgia, which is a poorly understood systemic illness that produces widespread pain and deep fatigue, and probably involves changes in how the brain processes pain signals.

Perhaps your sis-in-law was just lucky, and had spontaneous remission of her symptoms? Did she have any of the other medical issues that often co-exist with fibromyalgia? Did any of those get better?


Open User Options Menu

Gainz

Average Al wrote:
sirloin wrote:


That opening statement makes me wonder how i got my sis-in-law (who is a grandma) doing 250lb farmers walks and deadlifts, tire flips, heavy prowler pushes, KB swings, viking presses etc...in only a few months after being bed ridden with fibromyalgia for several years.

Fibromyalgia



Bill's focus is on preventing injuries around joints due to the use of improper mechanics in specific exercises. It has nothing to do with fibromyalgia, which is a poorly understood systemic illness that produces widespread pain and deep fatigue, and probably involves changes in how the brain processes pain signals.

Perhaps your sis-in-law was just lucky, and had spontaneous remission of her symptoms? Did she have any of the other medical issues that often co-exist with fibromyalgia? Did any of those get better?




Fibromyalgia is only poorly understood by mainstream medicine. As with all chronic systemic inflammatory conditions, it originates from an imbalanced microbiome, subsequent intestinal hyper- permiability and resultant metabolic endotoximia.

Microbiology has all of this stuff pretty much figured out, but don't hold your breath for your local physicians or rheumatologists being aware.... on average, it can take up to 17 years for the latest scientific findings to be adopted into clinical practice.

Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

sirloin wrote:
Turpin wrote:
simon-hecubus wrote:

Where Turpin got the idea Bill was proposing an "either-or" proposition, is beyond me. He seems to be talking about skimming the best/safest of FT from the dangerous portions and incorporating it into your HIT or AFT programs.


Best Regards,
Scott


Here it is Simon :



Bill De Simone wrote:

in spite of all the hype about Functional Training, you know that some new trainer or new exerciser looks at it and says, there is no way I'm having Grandma swing a kettlebell or flip a tire. Unfortunately, unless they already know HIT, there is no readily available alternative.

???????????.
Turpin wrote :

Absolute nonsense ! ? Are you saying that those two extremes are all there is ? Or that one must know HIT to offer any machine based ( or even any sensible free weight ) training routine ?

T.


Nothing more to say than the opening post is absolute nonsense and posted to be intentionally provocative.

T.

That opening statement makes me wonder how i got my sis-in-law (who is a grandma) doing 250lb farmers walks and deadlifts, tire flips, heavy prowler pushes, KB swings, viking presses etc...in only a few months after being bed ridden with fibromyalgia for several years.



hey mate, just curious to your sis-in-laws condition....would it matter what type of exercise she performed just as long as she performed the exercise consistently?
Open User Options Menu

accountdeleted

These are the kind of threads/topics that I really enjoy. Getting down to the core of it all to me. Or trying to keep this body, this structure strong. Very motivating to me. Personally I am much more conscious of how I lift in and out of the weight room due to dialogue such as this.
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Average Al wrote:
sirloin wrote:


That opening statement makes me wonder how i got my sis-in-law (who is a grandma) doing 250lb farmers walks and deadlifts, tire flips, heavy prowler pushes, KB swings, viking presses etc...in only a few months after being bed ridden with fibromyalgia for several years.



Bill's focus is on preventing injuries around joints due to the use of improper mechanics in specific exercises. It has nothing to do with fibromyalgia, which is a poorly understood systemic illness that produces widespread pain and deep fatigue, and probably involves changes in how the brain processes pain signals.

Perhaps your sis-in-law was just lucky, and had spontaneous remission of her symptoms? Did she have any of the other medical issues that often co-exist with fibromyalgia? Did any of those get better?




Al baby, the point is that she is an everyday grandma and was more than capable of doing heavy GPP work...inspite of having fibro and back problems.

Again, ive 3 herniated discs, and heavy farmers walks / loaded carries, prowler pushes, tire flips, deadlifts etc have been the best thing for my back. The machines alone just were'nt cutting it.

Open User Options Menu
First | Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last
Administrators Online: Mod Phoenix
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy