MB Madaera
Lost 31.7 lbs fat
Built 11.7 lbs muscle


Chris Madaera
Built 9 lbs muscle


Keelan Parham
Lost 30 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle


Bob Marchesello
Lost 23.55 lbs fat
Built 8.55 lbs muscle


Jeff Turner
Lost 25.5 lbs fat


Jeanenne Darden
Lost 26 lbs fat
Built 3 lbs muscle


Ted Tucker
Lost 41 lbs fat
Built 4 lbs muscle

 
 

Determine the Length of Your Workouts

Evaluate Your Progress

Keep Warm-Up in Perspective


ARCHIVES >>

"Doing more exercise with less intensity,"
Arthur Jones believes, "has all but
destroyed the actual great value
of weight training. Something
must be done . . . and quickly."
The New Bodybuilding for
Old-School Results supplies
MUCH of that "something."

 

This is one of 93 photos of Andy McCutcheon that are used in The New High-Intensity Training to illustrate the recommended exercises.

To find out more about McCutcheon and his training, click here.

 

Mission Statement

H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy

Privacy Policy

Credits

LOG IN FORUM MAIN REGISTER SEARCH
'Functional Training and HIT'
First | Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last
Author
Rating
Options

sirloin

Turpin wrote:


Bill De Simone wrote:

in spite of all the hype about Functional Training, you know that some new trainer or new exerciser looks at it and says, there is no way I'm having Grandma swing a kettlebell or flip a tire. Unfortunately, unless they already know HIT, there is no readily available alternative.

???????????.
Turpin wrote :

Absolute nonsense ! ? Are you saying that those two extremes are all there is ? Or that one must know HIT to offer any machine based ( or even any sensible free weight ) training routine ?

T.


Nothing more to say than the opening post is absolute nonsense and posted to be intentionally provocative.

T.

That opening statement makes me wonder how i got my sis-in-law (who is a grandma) doing 250lb farmers walks and deadlifts, tire flips, heavy prowler pushes, KB swings, viking presses etc...in only a few months after being bed ridden with fibromyalgia for several years.




According to most on this forum your sis in law ( grandmother ) is simply a genetic anomaly ! ..whilst proclaiming their own genetic predisposition prevents them from doing much at all , BUT they can/will tell you where you are going wrong with your own progress.

T.


Theres an "intense" dislikement within the HIT community for anything that does not have you sit on a seat of an expensive machine or move a barbell very slowly. Heck, after reading all the popular HIT guys articles i was brainwashed too (im sure you recall from the other forum lol), wear and tear was the devil, might as well have bought myself a bubble rap suit.
Thankfully i started salting in farmers walks, then prowler pushes, as i got stronger i started TBDLing, first light partials, then off 4" blocks, then the floor, then deficits, soon after i could flip tires, walk with the super yoke, carry sandbags, press standing, swing KBs etc.
At the end of last year i TBDLed 600lb off 4" blocks, this year im closing in on a 600lb TBDL off the floor. So if a stroke victim with 3 herniated discs like me can do it, am confident in saying most people can do it. You just gotta break out of the mould.
Open User Options Menu

Gainz

sirloin wrote:
Turpin wrote:


Bill De Simone wrote:

in spite of all the hype about Functional Training, you know that some new trainer or new exerciser looks at it and says, there is no way I'm having Grandma swing a kettlebell or flip a tire. Unfortunately, unless they already know HIT, there is no readily available alternative.

???????????.
Turpin wrote :

Absolute nonsense ! ? Are you saying that those two extremes are all there is ? Or that one must know HIT to offer any machine based ( or even any sensible free weight ) training routine ?

T.


Nothing more to say than the opening post is absolute nonsense and posted to be intentionally provocative.

T.

That opening statement makes me wonder how i got my sis-in-law (who is a grandma) doing 250lb farmers walks and deadlifts, tire flips, heavy prowler pushes, KB swings, viking presses etc...in only a few months after being bed ridden with fibromyalgia for several years.




According to most on this forum your sis in law ( grandmother ) is simply a genetic anomaly ! ..whilst proclaiming their own genetic predisposition prevents them from doing much at all , BUT they can/will tell you where you are going wrong with your own progress.

T.


Theres an "intense" dislikement within the HIT community for anything that does not have you sit on a seat of an expensive machine or move a barbell very slowly. Heck, after reading all the popular HIT guys articles i was brainwashed too (im sure you recall from the other forum lol), wear and tear was the devil, might as well have bought myself a bubble rap suit.
Thankfully i started salting in farmers walks, then prowler pushes, as i got stronger i started TBDLing, first light partials, then off 4" blocks, then the floor, then deficits, soon after i could flip tires, walk with the super yoke, carry sandbags, press standing, swing KBs etc.
At the end of last year i TBDLed 600lb off 4" blocks, this year im closing in on a 600lb TBDL off the floor. So if a stroke victim with 3 herniated discs like me can do it, am confident in saying most people can do it. You just gotta break out of the mould.


I think hypnosis coaching could be the missing piece of your puzzle buddy ;-)

Don't feel bad about not having hit 1000 lbs on your tbdl yet. You missed the opportunity to provide Lee Haney with your email address back in 1983.... so don't feel bad.

Open User Options Menu

Nwlifter

simon-hecubus wrote:
Turpin wrote:
Bill De Simone wrote:
entsminger wrote:
Ok, I got it, you're just looking to troll. You can declare victory, because I won't bother with any of your posts. Thanks for the input.

==Scott==
Bill, while I agree with much of what you have to say, when I understand it, I have to disagree with the idea that Turpin is a troll. On this site he's about the farthest thing there is from a troll. He documents and shows just about everything he does. It may be radically different from what "Simon says" ha ha, but it seems to work for him.I think he's actually a terminator with a hyper alloy chassis underneath the skin. He does things that would destroy some of us humans.

Well, he's trolling me here. More power to the guys who "just lift". They don't need or want my help. Or anybody else's, for that matter, so other than being trolls, I'm not quite sure why they bother.


Don't worry , I have no intention of posting / trolling on your thread again. I made a point and asked a simple question on your opening post and received only name calling in return and no answer.

T.

Turps man, if you were really on a fact-finding mission, then maybe you shouldn't lead with the phrase "Utter Nonsense!!"

Unfortunately, that opening battle cry set the tone and this thread has gone downhill since. And it didn't help when Bill immediately bristled in his own responses.

As for the rest of you and your dickless pile-on: I'm ashamed of you. David, Ents --- you guys are better than that.

And who's this Gainz punk? Is he the Forum's latest newbie troll? Or his he an old troll under a new name?

Bill does have quite the vocabulary and may need to restrain some of his verbose tendencies sometimes.

Where Turpin got the idea Bill was proposing an "either-or" proposition, is beyond me. He seems to be talking about skimming the best/safest of FT from the dangerous portions and incorporating it into your HIT or AFT programs.

This thread needs to either Dial-Down or Shut Down entirely.

Best Regards,
Scott


Yes agree, good post.
Man the days of mature intelligent conversation on here seem to be over with...
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Gainz wrote:
sirloin wrote:
Turpin wrote:


Bill De Simone wrote:

in spite of all the hype about Functional Training, you know that some new trainer or new exerciser looks at it and says, there is no way I'm having Grandma swing a kettlebell or flip a tire. Unfortunately, unless they already know HIT, there is no readily available alternative.

???????????.
Turpin wrote :

Absolute nonsense ! ? Are you saying that those two extremes are all there is ? Or that one must know HIT to offer any machine based ( or even any sensible free weight ) training routine ?

T.


Nothing more to say than the opening post is absolute nonsense and posted to be intentionally provocative.

T.

That opening statement makes me wonder how i got my sis-in-law (who is a grandma) doing 250lb farmers walks and deadlifts, tire flips, heavy prowler pushes, KB swings, viking presses etc...in only a few months after being bed ridden with fibromyalgia for several years.




According to most on this forum your sis in law ( grandmother ) is simply a genetic anomaly ! ..whilst proclaiming their own genetic predisposition prevents them from doing much at all , BUT they can/will tell you where you are going wrong with your own progress.

T.


Theres an "intense" dislikement within the HIT community for anything that does not have you sit on a seat of an expensive machine or move a barbell very slowly. Heck, after reading all the popular HIT guys articles i was brainwashed too (im sure you recall from the other forum lol), wear and tear was the devil, might as well have bought myself a bubble rap suit.
Thankfully i started salting in farmers walks, then prowler pushes, as i got stronger i started TBDLing, first light partials, then off 4" blocks, then the floor, then deficits, soon after i could flip tires, walk with the super yoke, carry sandbags, press standing, swing KBs etc.
At the end of last year i TBDLed 600lb off 4" blocks, this year im closing in on a 600lb TBDL off the floor. So if a stroke victim with 3 herniated discs like me can do it, am confident in saying most people can do it. You just gotta break out of the mould.


I think hypnosis coaching could be the missing piece of your puzzle buddy ;-)

Don't feel bad about not having hit 1000 lbs on your tbdl yet. You missed the opportunity to provide Lee Haney with your email address back in 1983.... so don't feel bad.



Ha! Hypnosis...yeah then ill go get some reflexology and chiro work done, then maybe get a tarot card reading aswell, you know...cover all basis.

1000lb dead; well in fairness im not on a "bulk":)
Open User Options Menu

Average Al

Gainz wrote

Fibromyalgia is only poorly understood by mainstream medicine. As with all chronic systemic inflammatory conditions, it originates from an imbalanced microbiome, subsequent intestinal hyper- permiability and resultant metabolic endotoximia.

Microbiology has all of this stuff pretty much figured out, but don't hold your breath for your local physicians or rheumatologists being aware.... on average, it can take up to 17 years for the latest scientific findings to be adopted into clinical practice.



Thanks for clearing that up. What kind of cure rate have you been able demonstrate in practice?

Open User Options Menu

simon-hecubus

Texas, USA

entsminger wrote:
===Scott==
I think Bill is a smart guy and most everything he talks to I agree with. He is hard for some lunk heads like me to understand at times as his terminology goes over our heads( I still don?t understand the term moment arm, ha ha) but he?s generally right on stuff he has to say.


When you do Curls, the moment arm is the distance from your elbow to the palm of your hand. When you do Toe Press (aka calf raises) it's the distance from the ball of your foot to the ankle joint.

Longer moment arms make small masses seem large and visa versa.

This may help you understand why you use much less weight on curls than toe presses!! And why you use even less on Lateral Raises (moment arm is you entire arm from deltoid to palm) --- and why bent-arm LRs help you use more weight!
Open User Options Menu

Average Al

sirloin wrote:
Average Al wrote:


Al baby, the point is that she is an everyday grandma and was more than capable of doing heavy GPP work...inspite of having fibro and back problems.

Again, ive 3 herniated discs, and heavy farmers walks / loaded carries, prowler pushes, tire flips, deadlifts etc have been the best thing for my back. The machines alone just were'nt cutting it.



Graded exercise therapy is one of the standard treatments. Start off with what the patient can tolerate, and increase slowly over time. But working up to intense GPP based on heavy lifting in a matter of months? That seems to be an unusually good result.

I dead lift regularly too. I like the exercise, but my results are more of a mixed bag. All of the back problems I've had in the last 5 years were the result of injuries from dead lifting.


Open User Options Menu

sirloin

hit4me wrote:
sirloin wrote:
Turpin wrote:
simon-hecubus wrote:

Where Turpin got the idea Bill was proposing an "either-or" proposition, is beyond me. He seems to be talking about skimming the best/safest of FT from the dangerous portions and incorporating it into your HIT or AFT programs.


Best Regards,
Scott


Here it is Simon :



Bill De Simone wrote:

in spite of all the hype about Functional Training, you know that some new trainer or new exerciser looks at it and says, there is no way I'm having Grandma swing a kettlebell or flip a tire. Unfortunately, unless they already know HIT, there is no readily available alternative.

???????????.
Turpin wrote :

Absolute nonsense ! ? Are you saying that those two extremes are all there is ? Or that one must know HIT to offer any machine based ( or even any sensible free weight ) training routine ?

T.


Nothing more to say than the opening post is absolute nonsense and posted to be intentionally provocative.

T.

That opening statement makes me wonder how i got my sis-in-law (who is a grandma) doing 250lb farmers walks and deadlifts, tire flips, heavy prowler pushes, KB swings, viking presses etc...in only a few months after being bed ridden with fibromyalgia for several years.



hey mate, just curious to your sis-in-laws condition....would it matter what type of exercise she performed just as long as she performed the exercise consistently?


Sorry Dan, missed your post.

In her case it absoulately mattered what type of exercise she did / does, the tire flips, loaded carries, prowler pushes etc seem to give her a greater sense of accomplishment, max deadlifts and standing presses etc built her confidence moreso than sitting on a machine moving slowly...which bored her to dead.
Several months ago she started training with a 50yo friend who is a female BB (on gear), she had her switch to a bodypart split, use more machines and move slow etc, not surprising to me, she has not been as consistant with her training in recent months and is begininng to regress, both physical and mentally. Ill probably end up stepping in again and telling her drugged up mate where to go.
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

sirloin wrote:
hit4me wrote:
sirloin wrote:
Turpin wrote:
simon-hecubus wrote:

Where Turpin got the idea Bill was proposing an "either-or" proposition, is beyond me. He seems to be talking about skimming the best/safest of FT from the dangerous portions and incorporating it into your HIT or AFT programs.


Best Regards,
Scott


Here it is Simon :



Bill De Simone wrote:

in spite of all the hype about Functional Training, you know that some new trainer or new exerciser looks at it and says, there is no way I'm having Grandma swing a kettlebell or flip a tire. Unfortunately, unless they already know HIT, there is no readily available alternative.

???????????.
Turpin wrote :

Absolute nonsense ! ? Are you saying that those two extremes are all there is ? Or that one must know HIT to offer any machine based ( or even any sensible free weight ) training routine ?

T.


Nothing more to say than the opening post is absolute nonsense and posted to be intentionally provocative.

T.

That opening statement makes me wonder how i got my sis-in-law (who is a grandma) doing 250lb farmers walks and deadlifts, tire flips, heavy prowler pushes, KB swings, viking presses etc...in only a few months after being bed ridden with fibromyalgia for several years.



hey mate, just curious to your sis-in-laws condition....would it matter what type of exercise she performed just as long as she performed the exercise consistently?

Sorry Dan, missed your post.

In her case it absoulately mattered what type of exercise she did / does, the tire flips, loaded carries, prowler pushes etc seem to give her a greater sense of accomplishment, max deadlifts and standing presses etc built her confidence moreso than sitting on a machine moving slowly...which bored her to dead.
Several months ago she started training with a 50yo friend who is a female BB (on gear), she had her switch to a bodypart split, use more machines and move slow etc, not surprising to me, she has not been as consistant with her training in recent months and is begininng to regress, both physical and mentally. Ill probably end up stepping in again and telling her drugged up mate where to go.


confidence goes a loooonnnngggg way buddy....and if she is regressing then yes I agree she needs to do go back to what works for her. tell that lady to go to hell
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

sirloin wrote:
Turpin wrote:


Bill De Simone wrote:

in spite of all the hype about Functional Training, you know that some new trainer or new exerciser looks at it and says, there is no way I'm having Grandma swing a kettlebell or flip a tire. Unfortunately, unless they already know HIT, there is no readily available alternative.

???????????.
Turpin wrote :

Absolute nonsense ! ? Are you saying that those two extremes are all there is ? Or that one must know HIT to offer any machine based ( or even any sensible free weight ) training routine ?

T.


Nothing more to say than the opening post is absolute nonsense and posted to be intentionally provocative.

T.

That opening statement makes me wonder how i got my sis-in-law (who is a grandma) doing 250lb farmers walks and deadlifts, tire flips, heavy prowler pushes, KB swings, viking presses etc...in only a few months after being bed ridden with fibromyalgia for several years.




According to most on this forum your sis in law ( grandmother ) is simply a genetic anomaly ! ..whilst proclaiming their own genetic predisposition prevents them from doing much at all , BUT they can/will tell you where you are going wrong with your own progress.

T.


Theres an "intense" dislikement within the HIT community for anything that does not have you sit on a seat of an expensive machine or move a barbell very slowly. Heck, after reading all the popular HIT guys articles i was brainwashed too (im sure you recall from the other forum lol), wear and tear was the devil, might as well have bought myself a bubble rap suit.
Thankfully i started salting in farmers walks, then prowler pushes, as i got stronger i started TBDLing, first light partials, then off 4" blocks, then the floor, then deficits, soon after i could flip tires, walk with the super yoke, carry sandbags, press standing, swing KBs etc.
At the end of last year i TBDLed 600lb off 4" blocks, this year im closing in on a 600lb TBDL off the floor. So if a stroke victim with 3 herniated discs like me can do it, am confident in saying most people can do it. You just gotta break out of the mould.


I agree there are many with-in HIT community that think their way is the only way and that they get angry during conversations.....no, its a way along with the other thousand different ways to get in shape.....the key is to just MOVE....if you want to MOVE slow then MOVE slow, if you want to MOVE fast then MOVE fast....I hope you don't put me in that angry HIT community, lol
Open User Options Menu

Gainz

Average Al wrote:
Gainz wrote

Fibromyalgia is only poorly understood by mainstream medicine. As with all chronic systemic inflammatory conditions, it originates from an imbalanced microbiome, subsequent intestinal hyper- permiability and resultant metabolic endotoximia.

Microbiology has all of this stuff pretty much figured out, but don't hold your breath for your local physicians or rheumatologists being aware.... on average, it can take up to 17 years for the latest scientific findings to be adopted into clinical practice.



Thanks for clearing that up. What kind of cure rate have you been able demonstrate in practice?



Many people have managed to put fibromyalgia and other autoimmune/inflammatory conditions into remission by removing the goods which damage the intestinal lining (grains/dairy/sugar) and feeding the good bacteria in the gut with lots of prebiotic fibers.

Open User Options Menu

Brian Johnston

Ontario, CAN

Gainz wrote:
Many people have managed to put fibromyalgia and other autoimmune/inflammatory conditions into remission by removing the goods which damage the intestinal lining (grains/dairy/sugar) and feeding the good bacteria in the gut with lots of prebiotic fibers.



A good percentage of fibromyalgia cases are linked highly to tight myofascia. If you've ever had tight myofascia, it can be painful, and one area that is tight can have a cascading effect to other parts. I had this along the sides of my thighs (lots of squatting and not enough massage). It took me about two weeks of consistent, daily massage on a roller to break up the adhesions and feel loose again.
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

hit4me wrote:
sirloin wrote:
Turpin wrote:


Bill De Simone wrote:

in spite of all the hype about Functional Training, you know that some new trainer or new exerciser looks at it and says, there is no way I'm having Grandma swing a kettlebell or flip a tire. Unfortunately, unless they already know HIT, there is no readily available alternative.

???????????.
Turpin wrote :

Absolute nonsense ! ? Are you saying that those two extremes are all there is ? Or that one must know HIT to offer any machine based ( or even any sensible free weight ) training routine ?

T.


Nothing more to say than the opening post is absolute nonsense and posted to be intentionally provocative.

T.

That opening statement makes me wonder how i got my sis-in-law (who is a grandma) doing 250lb farmers walks and deadlifts, tire flips, heavy prowler pushes, KB swings, viking presses etc...in only a few months after being bed ridden with fibromyalgia for several years.




According to most on this forum your sis in law ( grandmother ) is simply a genetic anomaly ! ..whilst proclaiming their own genetic predisposition prevents them from doing much at all , BUT they can/will tell you where you are going wrong with your own progress.

T.


Theres an "intense" dislikement within the HIT community for anything that does not have you sit on a seat of an expensive machine or move a barbell very slowly. Heck, after reading all the popular HIT guys articles i was brainwashed too (im sure you recall from the other forum lol), wear and tear was the devil, might as well have bought myself a bubble rap suit.
Thankfully i started salting in farmers walks, then prowler pushes, as i got stronger i started TBDLing, first light partials, then off 4" blocks, then the floor, then deficits, soon after i could flip tires, walk with the super yoke, carry sandbags, press standing, swing KBs etc.
At the end of last year i TBDLed 600lb off 4" blocks, this year im closing in on a 600lb TBDL off the floor. So if a stroke victim with 3 herniated discs like me can do it, am confident in saying most people can do it. You just gotta break out of the mould.


I agree there are many with-in HIT community that think their way is the only way and that they get angry during conversations.....no, its a way along with the other thousand different ways to get in shape.....the key is to just MOVE....if you want to MOVE slow then MOVE slow, if you want to MOVE fast then MOVE fast....I hope you don't put me in that angry HIT community, lol


Not at all bud haha...

In fairness there are trainers like Dr D and Brian that still use normal or piston style reps, or a combo (such as Dr Ds 15/15/15 plus 8-12 reps, or his new 30/10/30).
Open User Options Menu

HeavyHitter32

Brian Johnston wrote:
Gainz wrote:
Many people have managed to put fibromyalgia and other autoimmune/inflammatory conditions into remission by removing the goods which damage the intestinal lining (grains/dairy/sugar) and feeding the good bacteria in the gut with lots of prebiotic fibers.



A good percentage of fibromyalgia cases are linked highly to tight myofascia. If you've ever had tight myofascia, it can be painful, and one area that is tight can have a cascading effect to other parts. I had this along the sides of my thighs (lots of squatting and not enough massage). It took me about two weeks of consistent, daily massage on a roller to break up the adhesions and feel loose again.


I use the roller on my IT bands several days a week or after leg training or related exercises. Helps my knees...great recommendation from my PT.
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Average Al wrote:
sirloin wrote:
Average Al wrote:


Al baby, the point is that she is an everyday grandma and was more than capable of doing heavy GPP work...inspite of having fibro and back problems.

Again, ive 3 herniated discs, and heavy farmers walks / loaded carries, prowler pushes, tire flips, deadlifts etc have been the best thing for my back. The machines alone just were'nt cutting it.



Graded exercise therapy is one of the standard treatments. Start off with what the patient can tolerate, and increase slowly over time. But working up to intense GPP based on heavy lifting in a matter of months? That seems to be an unusually good result.

I dead lift regularly too. I like the exercise, but my results are more of a mixed bag. All of the back problems I've had in the last 5 years were the result of injuries from dead lifting.




Honestly Al, she has good genes, she was a very good gymnast in your youth and rugby player in her 20s, strength coach in her 30s for a womans rugby team. Very powerful legs and back, it took her 2 sessions to max out the seated LP machine, on the 3rd workout she needed heavy duty resistance bands to make it harder.

I had her do farmers walks, prowler pushes, tire flips etc alone with some machine work right off the bat, she progressed very quickly, after that i added TBDLs, rotatng deficit, off the floor and with resistance bands, standing presses, rotating one arm db, viking and barbell versions. Becuase of pain in her traps and neck, she couldnt back squat, so id have her goblet or zercher squat, and of course the weighted stretching exercises TBDL, farmers etc helped the pain in her traps.

How do you program your deadlift Al? Do you use a barbell, machine or TB?

For me i have to rotate the TBDL, low handles off the floor, then high handles off the floor and like tonight, with resistance bands (saves the back bit more and makes lockout harder). If i do it from the same level every time it starts to go for my back - given that i like to train the lift 2x per week. Also vary the rep range.
Open User Options Menu

Bill De Simone

New Jersey, USA

Hey, thanks for keeping the thread visible.
Open User Options Menu

Bill De Simone

New Jersey, USA

Nwlifter wrote:
simon-hecubus wrote:
Turpin wrote:
Bill De Simone wrote:
entsminger wrote:
Ok, I got it, you're just looking to troll. You can declare victory, because I won't bother with any of your posts. Thanks for the input.

==Scott==
Bill, while I agree with much of what you have to say, when I understand it, I have to disagree with the idea that Turpin is a troll. On this site he's about the farthest thing there is from a troll. He documents and shows just about everything he does. It may be radically different from what "Simon says" ha ha, but it seems to work for him.I think he's actually a terminator with a hyper alloy chassis underneath the skin. He does things that would destroy some of us humans.

Well, he's trolling me here. More power to the guys who "just lift". They don't need or want my help. Or anybody else's, for that matter, so other than being trolls, I'm not quite sure why they bother.


Don't worry , I have no intention of posting / trolling on your thread again. I made a point and asked a simple question on your opening post and received only name calling in return and no answer.

T.

Turps man, if you were really on a fact-finding mission, then maybe you shouldn't lead with the phrase "Utter Nonsense!!"

Unfortunately, that opening battle cry set the tone and this thread has gone downhill since. And it didn't help when Bill immediately bristled in his own responses.

As for the rest of you and your dickless pile-on: I'm ashamed of you. David, Ents --- you guys are better than that.

And who's this Gainz punk? Is he the Forum's latest newbie troll? Or his he an old troll under a new name?

Bill does have quite the vocabulary and may need to restrain some of his verbose tendencies sometimes.

Where Turpin got the idea Bill was proposing an "either-or" proposition, is beyond me. He seems to be talking about skimming the best/safest of FT from the dangerous portions and incorporating it into your HIT or AFT programs.

This thread needs to either Dial-Down or Shut Down entirely.

Best Regards,
Scott

Yes agree, good post.
Man the days of mature intelligent conversation on here seem to be over with...


When was that?
Open User Options Menu

Bill De Simone

New Jersey, USA

simon-hecubus wrote:
entsminger wrote:
===Scott==
I think Bill is a smart guy and most everything he talks to I agree with. He is hard for some lunk heads like me to understand at times as his terminology goes over our heads( I still don?t understand the term moment arm, ha ha) but he?s generally right on stuff he has to say.

When you do Curls, the moment arm is the distance from your elbow to the palm of your hand. When you do Toe Press (aka calf raises) it's the distance from the ball of your foot to the ankle joint.

Longer moment arms make small masses seem large and visa versa.

This may help you understand why you use much less weight on curls than toe presses!! And why you use even less on Lateral Raises (moment arm is you entire arm from deltoid to palm) --- and why bent-arm LRs help you use more weight!


A technical correction: in the free weight curl, the moment arm is the horizontal distance from elbow to hand. So its greatest at 90 degree bend, smallest when the elbow is straight. Much easier to explain with a diagram.
Open User Options Menu

Average Al

sirloin wrote:


How do you program your deadlift Al? Do you use a barbell, machine or TB?

For me i have to rotate the TBDL, low handles off the floor, then high handles off the floor and like tonight, with resistance bands (saves the back bit more and makes lockout harder). If i do it from the same level every time it starts to go for my back - given that i like to train the lift 2x per week. Also vary the rep range.


At the moment, I'm focused more on trying to lean out, get some better blood test results. In line with that, I've added in more cardio. So on the strength side, I'm just trying to maintain muscle mass. I'm also old (66), so realistically, just hanging on to the muscle that I have will be challenging enough.

In terms of programming the dead lift: I basically do a dead lift variant once a week, alternating between conventional straight bar, and RDL's.

In the past, my back injuries have happened when I got to the end of a progression in weight, and started grinding the reps to hit a PR. So I don't do that any more. I just pick a challenging weight, and accumulate some volume. When I feel like I have mastered that weight, I will bump it up. But chasing PR's is no longer my focus.

I lift twice a week, and overall looks like this:

A ROUTINE:
Squats, 5x5, sets across, beltless, paused.

Superset of
- Overhead press with barbell or seated dumbbell overhead press, 3 sets as reverse pyramid.
- Bodyweight pull-ups, 3 sets for AMRAP.

Back extensions on 45 bench (low back focus)

Suitcase carry

Interval work on stationary bike.

B ROUTINE:
Leg Press, top set and drop set to failure.

Leg extension, one set to failure

Hip extension, one set to failure

Hip abduction machine, one set to failure (rehab for some hip issues)

Hammer decline chest press, 3 sets as reverse pyramid.

Chest supported t-bar row, 3 sets as reverse pyramid.

RDL for 5x5, or conventional dead lift for 3x5

Interval work on rowing machine.




Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

Bill De Simone wrote:
simon-hecubus wrote:
entsminger wrote:
===Scott==
I think Bill is a smart guy and most everything he talks to I agree with. He is hard for some lunk heads like me to understand at times as his terminology goes over our heads( I still don?t understand the term moment arm, ha ha) but he?s generally right on stuff he has to say.

When you do Curls, the moment arm is the distance from your elbow to the palm of your hand. When you do Toe Press (aka calf raises) it's the distance from the ball of your foot to the ankle joint.

Longer moment arms make small masses seem large and visa versa.

This may help you understand why you use much less weight on curls than toe presses!! And why you use even less on Lateral Raises (moment arm is you entire arm from deltoid to palm) --- and why bent-arm LRs help you use more weight!

A technical correction: in the free weight curl, the moment arm is the horizontal distance from elbow to hand. So its greatest at 90 degree bend, smallest when the elbow is straight. Much easier to explain with a diagram.


== Scott==
I?m still confused. What do the words ?moment arm ? have to do with what the movement or action is? Does it have something do do with the moment the resistance is off a certain muscle? The term moment is throwing me for a loop.
Open User Options Menu

sirloin

Average Al wrote:
sirloin wrote:


How do you program your deadlift Al? Do you use a barbell, machine or TB?

For me i have to rotate the TBDL, low handles off the floor, then high handles off the floor and like tonight, with resistance bands (saves the back bit more and makes lockout harder). If i do it from the same level every time it starts to go for my back - given that i like to train the lift 2x per week. Also vary the rep range.

At the moment, I'm focused more on trying to lean out, get some better blood test results. In line with that, I've added in more cardio. So on the strength side, I'm just trying to maintain muscle mass. I'm also old (66), so realistically, just hanging on to the muscle that I have will be challenging enough.

In terms of programming the dead lift: I basically do a dead lift variant once a week, alternating between conventional straight bar, and RDL's.

In the past, my back injuries have happened when I got to the end of a progression in weight, and started grinding the reps to hit a PR. So I don't do that any more. I just pick a challenging weight, and accumulate some volume. When I feel like I have mastered that weight, I will bump it up. But chasing PR's is no longer my focus.

I lift twice a week, and overall looks like this:

A ROUTINE:
Squats, 5x5, sets across, beltless, paused.

Superset of
- Overhead press with barbell or seated dumbbell overhead press, 3 sets as reverse pyramid.
- Bodyweight pull-ups, 3 sets for AMRAP.

Back extensions on 45 bench (low back focus)

Suitcase carry

Interval work on stationary bike.

B ROUTINE:
Leg Press, top set and drop set to failure.

Leg extension, one set to failure

Hip extension, one set to failure

Hip abduction machine, one set to failure (rehab for some hip issues)

Hammer decline chest press, 3 sets as reverse pyramid.

Chest supported t-bar row, 3 sets as reverse pyramid.

RDL for 5x5, or conventional dead lift for 3x5

Interval work on rowing machine.






Lean out...you and me both haha. Fair play, dont think i could deadlift at the end of FB workout, i found it hard enough after bench only.
Yeah, its prob best in the long run to own a weight before moving up, ive been caught out a few times myself, going for PRs in the heat of the momment, amaped up in caffeine etc / music blasting etc. Staright bar wise, i can get away with rack pulls below the knee, but off the floor doesnt agree, trap bar causes zero problems though.

Best
Rob
Open User Options Menu

Nwlifter

entsminger wrote:
Bill De Simone wrote:
simon-hecubus wrote:
entsminger wrote:
===Scott==
I think Bill is a smart guy and most everything he talks to I agree with. He is hard for some lunk heads like me to understand at times as his terminology goes over our heads( I still don?t understand the term moment arm, ha ha) but he?s generally right on stuff he has to say.

When you do Curls, the moment arm is the distance from your elbow to the palm of your hand. When you do Toe Press (aka calf raises) it's the distance from the ball of your foot to the ankle joint.

Longer moment arms make small masses seem large and visa versa.

This may help you understand why you use much less weight on curls than toe presses!! And why you use even less on Lateral Raises (moment arm is you entire arm from deltoid to palm) --- and why bent-arm LRs help you use more weight!

A technical correction: in the free weight curl, the moment arm is the horizontal distance from elbow to hand. So its greatest at 90 degree bend, smallest when the elbow is straight. Much easier to explain with a diagram.


== Scott==
I?m still confused. What do the words ?moment arm ? have to do with what the movement or action is? Does it have something do do with the moment the resistance is off a certain muscle? The term moment is throwing me for a loop.


try this
https://www.ptdirect.com/...-squat-analysis

Open User Options Menu

entsminger

Virginia, USA

== Scott==
I?m still confused. What do the words ?moment arm ? have to do with what the movement or action is? Does it have something do do with the moment the resistance is off a certain muscle? The term moment is throwing me for a loop.

try this
https://www.ptdirect.com/...-squat-analysis

==Scott==
Ok I sort of see the "moment arm" is the area between the joints but what do the words Moment arm have to do with it? Is there some meaning to "moment" or could it have easily have been called fruit loop arm?
Open User Options Menu

hit4me

Florida, USA

entsminger wrote:
== Scott==
I?m still confused. What do the words ?moment arm ? have to do with what the movement or action is? Does it have something do do with the moment the resistance is off a certain muscle? The term moment is throwing me for a loop.

try this
https://www.ptdirect.com/...-squat-analysis

==Scott==
Ok I sort of see the "moment arm" is the area between the joints but what do the words Moment arm have to do with it? Is there some meaning to "moment" or could it have easily have been called fruit loop arm?


https://www.merriam-webster.co...
Open User Options Menu

1958

Texas, USA

entsminger wrote:
== Scott==
I?m still confused. What do the words ?moment arm ? have to do with what the movement or action is? Does it have something do do with the moment the resistance is off a certain muscle? The term moment is throwing me for a loop.

try this
https://www.ptdirect.com/...-squat-analysis

==Scott==
Ok I sort of see the "moment arm" is the area between the joints but what do the words Moment arm have to do with it? Is there some meaning to "moment" or could it have easily have been called fruit loop arm?

My goodness! And you call yourself an educator?!
Do some simple research and educate yourself!
Open User Options Menu
First | Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last
H.I.T. Acceptable Use Policy